What readers think of Girl in Disguise, plus links to write your own review.

Girl in Disguise

Davida Chazan

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Girl in Disguise

Mary C

Wish it were longer!
Loaded with suspense and action, this is a well-told, superb story. This author is becoming a top ten favorite of mine. Her words are sharp and palpable. Her stories are interesting and fresh. I always appreciate an author that can get to the story or describe something/one without being verbose. I love the author's ability to take historical fiction and enlighten the reader with real facts about real people, women in particular. I became a fan of Macallister with her first novel, The Magician's Lie. This 2nd book is leading the way for more fans like me.
DJCMinor

An Excellent Historical Novel
Greer Macallister has taken the few facts known about Kate Warne, the first female Pinkerton detective, and has created a compelling story. Macallister uses what little is known about Warne to give readers a picture of a female detective 1856 and after. Warne helped other Pinkerton agents thwart an assassination attempt on Lincoln. I found the story interesting and well-written.
Michael Haughton

disguise in girl by Greer Macallistet
This is a perfect book in regards to how one can become an undercover agent. The beginning of the first chapter show how well the writer's talent had on exploring women subtlety with men. Although a bar was mainly a place for men, the writer shows great entertainment with use of words like "her wicked smile would made a man gives you his secret".

The writer made it possible to give men an insight in a woman's world with the use and interpretation of body language. One such body language she uses was the eyes, because even though the men in the lounge were offering her drinks, Kate saw more than a drink in their eyes, more like sex.

The writer uses every trick a woman would use to get away from the advancement of men. a body language or sly behaviour she uses in the lounge. i must say the writer was excellent with words including body language.

The writer made it seem so easy, as the disguise Lady used to get close to her target was to solicit a drink. But the funny part is Kate was not a drinker because she nearly choked while sipping it first. One poor grammar use in a line in the first chapters was "make him think me a sheep". This was a shocker as I only hear these word in broken English. Plus the mentioning of her dead husband's name in her interview for a job was totally unnecessary. She was the one that disapproved of her own marriage, so it was ridiculous.

With no money and no husband, Kate Warne finds herself with few choices. The streets of 1856 Chicago offer a desperate widow mostly trouble and ruin - unless that widow has a knack for manipulation and an unusually quick mind.

This was what got my attention when the writer use metamorphosis like "as I knock on the inner door" which refer a to her mind and thinking out what's her next move. Kate no doubt convinced the Allan Pinker to hire her as a detective.

I was a little much perturbed by the constant use of body fluid that was used by the writer. The mentioning of sweat running from her shoulder was getting to me as she was a woman. And there must have been other places on her body that must had sweat too.

But in no uncertain way started battling criminals and coworkers alike, Kate immerses herself in the dangerous life of an operative, winning the right to tackle some of the agency's toughest investigations.
takingmytime

First Female Pinkerton
This novel was inspired by the real life of Kate Warne.
In the style of Amy Stewart's Girl Waits with Gun series or Emily McCabe's I Shall Be Near to You, Greer Macallister does a fine job of making you visualize the first female Pinkerton agent in 1856. Not only Allan Pinkerton, but Chicago has their hands full when it comes to Agent Kate Warne's detective sleuth. Unaccepted initially by her co-workers - all male - Warne is a force to be reckoned with. Through thick and thin she remains stoic, reliable and an excellent operative.
Macallister does an excellent job of research and recreating a factual person. With little known about Kate Warne, the author develops a great historical account of her life and her tenure with the Pinkerton, even though most records pertaining to Warne were destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire in 1871.
Sandi W.

Fiction based on Fact
This novel was inspired by the real life of Kate Warne.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Everyone Knows Your Mother Is a Witch
    Everyone Knows Your Mother Is a Witch
    by Rivka Galchen
    Rivka Galchen's novel Everyone Knows Your Mother Is a Witch is a historical fiction tale set in the ...
  • Book Jacket: Paradise, Nevada
    Paradise, Nevada
    by Dario Diofebi
    In Dario Diofebi's novel Paradise, Nevada, the neon allure of Las Vegas is pulled back to reveal ...
  • Book Jacket: Things We Lost to the Water
    Things We Lost to the Water
    by Eric Nguyen
    Spanning over 30 years, Eric Nguyen's debut novel Things We Lost to the Water is epic in scope but ...
  • Book Jacket: The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    by Dawnie Walton
    Within the general arc of many well-established and chronicled historical events is oral history's ...

Ariadne
by Jennifer Saint
A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

At the Chinese Table
    by Carolyn Phillips

Part memoir of life in Taiwan, part love story—A beautifully told account of China's cuisines with recipes.

Morningside Heights
    by Joshua Henkin

A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Win This Book!
Win Together We Will Go

Together We Will Go
by J. Michael Straczynski

A novel as much about the will to live as the choice to end it.

C T T Chase