Reader reviews and comments on Girl in Disguise, plus links to write your own review.

Girl in Disguise

Davida Chazan

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Girl in Disguise

DJCMinor

An Excellent Historical Novel
Greer Macallister has taken the few facts known about Kate Warne, the first female Pinkerton detective, and has created a compelling story. Macallister uses what little is known about Warne to give readers a picture of a female detective 1856 and after. Warne helped other Pinkerton agents thwart an assassination attempt on Lincoln. I found the story interesting and well-written.
Michael Haughton

disguise in girl by Greer Macallistet
This is a perfect book in regards to how one can become an undercover agent. The beginning of the first chapter show how well the writer's talent had on exploring women subtlety with men. Although a bar was mainly a place for men, the writer shows great entertainment with use of words like "her wicked smile would made a man gives you his secret".

The writer made it possible to give men an insight in a woman's world with the use and interpretation of body language. One such body language she uses was the eyes, because even though the men in the lounge were offering her drinks, Kate saw more than a drink in their eyes, more like sex.

The writer uses every trick a woman would use to get away from the advancement of men. a body language or sly behaviour she uses in the lounge. i must say the writer was excellent with words including body language.

The writer made it seem so easy, as the disguise Lady used to get close to her target was to solicit a drink. But the funny part is Kate was not a drinker because she nearly choked while sipping it first. One poor grammar use in a line in the first chapters was "make him think me a sheep". This was a shocker as I only hear these word in broken English. Plus the mentioning of her dead husband's name in her interview for a job was totally unnecessary. She was the one that disapproved of her own marriage, so it was ridiculous.

With no money and no husband, Kate Warne finds herself with few choices. The streets of 1856 Chicago offer a desperate widow mostly trouble and ruin - unless that widow has a knack for manipulation and an unusually quick mind.

This was what got my attention when the writer use metamorphosis like "as I knock on the inner door" which refer a to her mind and thinking out what's her next move. Kate no doubt convinced the Allan Pinker to hire her as a detective.

I was a little much perturbed by the constant use of body fluid that was used by the writer. The mentioning of sweat running from her shoulder was getting to me as she was a woman. And there must have been other places on her body that must had sweat too.

But in no uncertain way started battling criminals and coworkers alike, Kate immerses herself in the dangerous life of an operative, winning the right to tackle some of the agency's toughest investigations.
takingmytime

First Female Pinkerton
This novel was inspired by the real life of Kate Warne.
In the style of Amy Stewart's Girl Waits with Gun series or Emily McCabe's I Shall Be Near to You, Greer Macallister does a fine job of making you visualize the first female Pinkerton agent in 1856. Not only Allan Pinkerton, but Chicago has their hands full when it comes to Agent Kate Warne's detective sleuth. Unaccepted initially by her co-workers - all male - Warne is a force to be reckoned with. Through thick and thin she remains stoic, reliable and an excellent operative.
Macallister does an excellent job of research and recreating a factual person. With little known about Kate Warne, the author develops a great historical account of her life and her tenure with the Pinkerton, even though most records pertaining to Warne were destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire in 1871.
Sandi W.

Fiction based on Fact
This novel was inspired by the real life of Kate Warne.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...
  • Book Jacket: We Have Been Harmonized
    We Have Been Harmonized
    by Kai Strittmatter
    You'd be forgiven if, while reading We Have Been Harmonized, you momentarily mistook it for a ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C