Reader reviews and comments on Pachinko, plus links to write your own review.

by Min Jin Lee

Rebecca Foster

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Pachinko

Joan

Fascinating Story of Korea
This is a fascinating story - fiction plus history and culture of Korea. Relatable characters, cultural developments, insight into family relationships, conflicts with Japan, hints about the budding of North Korea - it's all here!
James BC Yu

Pachinko
I was born in Japan of Korean parents and lived there till age 10. After Japan was defeated in 1945, our mother took us back to Korea. Our father was killed in 1944 in an accident while he was conscripted to work at a Japanese Navy Ship Yard. My family consisted of mother (32), sister (13), me (10) and 2 younger brothers (3) years apart. Once I started reading Pachinko, I couldn't stop reading because the main character, Sunja, is my sister, a strong and determined head of my family. I lived in Korea for another 10 years till after the end of Korean War. I have lived in the States over 6 decades.
Jan

Did not want the book to end
I was in love with every character in this book. Did not want it to end. So deep.
Avid reader

Pachinko
Well researched, but too long. Followed 4 generations of Korean's trying to survive and assimilate into the Japanese culture. Each generation had the same problems and difficulties of the one before and started to get generationally stuck on wanting the Korea they left. I did like the descriptions of the politics of the time, but would have liked more. I also did not think it was as well written to deserves the accolades it was given.Pleasant read if you have a lot of time. No "wow" factor when you are finished.

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    by Marie Benedict
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie by Marie Benedict, notable author of previous historical fiction such ...
  • Book Jacket: To Be a Man
    To Be a Man
    by Nicole Krauss
    While, as its title hints, To Be a Man by Nicole Krauss is concerned with masculinity, it renders a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Office of Historical Corrections
    The Office of Historical Corrections
    by Danielle Evans
    In The Office of Historical Corrections, the second story collection from Danielle Evans, readers ...
    The Dutch House
    by Ann Patchett

The Dutch House is my introduction to Ann Patchett, which, after reading it, surprises me. I had ...

The Prophets
    by Robert Jones Jr.

A stunning debut novel about the forbidden union between two enslaved young men on a Deep South plantation.

The Fortunate Ones
    by Ed Tarkington

An engrossing story of class, love, and loyalty for fans of Kevin Wilson's Nothing to See Here.

The Moment of Lift
by Melinda Gates
How can we summon a moment of lift for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity.

Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live

T M T C, T M T Stay T S