We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of Pachinko, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

by Min Jin Lee

Rebecca Foster

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Pachinko

Cathryn Conroy

Extraordinary Writing, Extraordinary Book
This four-generation family saga of poverty-stricken Koreans who are essentially forced in exile to Japan is everything a reader wants in a novel: characters so real they pop off the page, a plot that keeps you reading past your bedtime, and an ending that both breaks your heart and makes you smile.

Written by Min Jin Lee, the story begins with the teenaged Sunja, who falls in love with a much older, wealthy and very powerful man, who is married with three daughters (unbeknownst to her). Not surprisingly, she gets pregnant, and then her meager, but well-ordered, world comes crashing in. But a kind Korean man agrees to marry her and takes her to Japan where they live with his brother and sister-in-law. Remember the lover? Yeah, he hasn't forgotten Sunja. No spoilers here, but suffice it to say that he remains a part of her life forever—and not always in a good way.

This is a story about love in all its forms, a faith in God (or not), the bond of family, life and death, basic human survival, and the power of country and tradition. The ending is perfect in that it brings the story full circle.

This book will grab your heart from the start and not let go. There is a reason "Pachinko" has won a bazillion awards.
Joan

Fascinating Story of Korea
This is a fascinating story - fiction plus history and culture of Korea. Relatable characters, cultural developments, insight into family relationships, conflicts with Japan, hints about the budding of North Korea - it's all here!
James BC Yu

Pachinko
I was born in Japan of Korean parents and lived there till age 10. After Japan was defeated in 1945, our mother took us back to Korea. Our father was killed in 1944 in an accident while he was conscripted to work at a Japanese Navy Ship Yard. My family consisted of mother (32), sister (13), me (10) and 2 younger brothers (3) years apart. Once I started reading Pachinko, I couldn't stop reading because the main character, Sunja, is my sister, a strong and determined head of my family. I lived in Korea for another 10 years till after the end of Korean War. I have lived in the States over 6 decades.
Jan

Did not want the book to end
I was in love with every character in this book. Did not want it to end. So deep.
Avid reader

Pachinko
Well researched, but too long. Followed 4 generations of Korean's trying to survive and assimilate into the Japanese culture. Each generation had the same problems and difficulties of the one before and started to get generationally stuck on wanting the Korea they left. I did like the descriptions of the politics of the time, but would have liked more. I also did not think it was as well written to deserves the accolades it was given.Pleasant read if you have a lot of time. No "wow" factor when you are finished.

Pachinko

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...
  • Book Jacket: Prophet Song
    Prophet Song
    by Paul Lynch
    Paul Lynch's 2023 Booker Prize–winning Prophet Song is a speedboat of a novel that hurtles...
  • Book Jacket: The Frozen River
    The Frozen River
    by Ariel Lawhon
    "I cannot say why it is so important that I make this daily record. Perhaps because I have been ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

The Adversary
    by Michael Crummey

An enthralling novel about a small town struggling to survive, and a bitter vendetta between two rivals.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)