Reader reviews and comments on A Piece of the World, plus links to write your own review.

by Christina Baker Kline

A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline X
A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline

Feb 2017, 320 pages
    Jan 2018, 384 pages

There are currently 46 reader reviews for A Piece of the World

Nancy S. (Georgetown, TX)

A Piece of the World
The book was a fact-based fiction. I was spellbound from the opening page and did not want to put the book down. The main character, Christina, was a compelling and complex woman who had endured many hardships and heartaches. Her opportunity for love came during a visit from a summer visitor who spent four summers making promises that they would be together. His sudden absence from their regular habit of correspondence was his way of removing himself from her life. She spent the rest of her life grieving the loss of love and becoming bitter in many ways. The book covered her feelings and her sense of loss in detail. I would recommend this book to any book club.
Vicky R. (Roswell, GA)

A Piece of the World
I love this author's writing style. I liked this book more than Orphan Trail. Kline has a way with words that pulls you into the story. The book was extremely addicting until the last 50 pages, where I thought it dragged a little, but the story itself was entertaining. When this author releases her books, I run to the nearest book store!
Carol R. (Pembroke, MA)

A Piece of the World
This historical fiction entitled "A Piece of the World" is about Christina's World, which is situated along the Maine coast in the town of Cushing. High on a hill is the 18th century farmhouse is where Christina's story takes place.

Christina suffered from a debilitating, undiagnosed, neurological disorder which began when she was young and progressed to a fully paraplegic condition in her fifties. She was a severely crippled woman who didn't have the use of her legs, but had to crawl wherever she wanted to go as she was tough, proud, very stubborn and determined.

Young Andy Wyeth came to Olson House, loved it and eventually set up studios in an upstairs room. From his window, he could see Christina maneuvering herself on the grass and developed an affinity for her as he had a slight balance problem, too.

The story of their friendship and his respect and love for her was instrumental in his famous masterpiece, Christina's World. I have greatly benefited from this wonderfully written educational book. It was very well written and I felt like I could breathe the Maine air and hear the waves crashing while reading it. I will definitely recommend it to my very well-read book group.
Carolyn G. (La Jolla, CA)

A Piece of the World
I was moved to tears by the overwhelming truth and beauty of a soul exposed in the final two pages of A PIECE OF THE WORLD--Christina's World. Andrew Wyeth has captured on canvas the essence of Christina Olson. In turn, the author has skillfully interpreted the famous painting by Andrew Wyeth, blending the lives of real people with her (Kline's) storytelling talent to create a novel that realistically describes a piece of American history, a life of enduring pain and hardship, interspersed with fleeting moments of joy.
Born in 1937, I grew up in the "gold country" of rural Northern California. The similarities between my world and Christina's world are striking. I enjoyed the book tremendously, reliving sensations and visions of an earlier time. For a few nostalgic days Christina's World became my world.
I highly recommend adding A PIECE OF THE WORLD to the must-read list of avid readers of historical fiction, and especially to book clubs. Discussion topics abound!
Lucy S. (Westford, MA)

Brings the painting to life
I enjoyed the book and it made me add the back story to the famous painting, Christina's World.....the author brings the characters to life and describes the incredible hardships endured in a world not really imagined in the painting. Christina's strength of character was impressive and inspiring. It was a book of friendship and love and loyalty and understanding and acceptance - a lot of which we all could use these days.
Nancy L. (Denver, NC)

A beautiful book
A beautiful book based on Andrew Wyeth's painting: Christina's World. Generations of a stubborn family live on ancestral property in Cushing, Maine. Christina being just as stubborn as her mother, father and grandmother. Why they don't take this gorgeous property and update it is beyond me. Instead, they live without running water, electricity, telephone. I lived this life with them - every part of this book is so real.
Sheila S. (Supply, NC)

Christina's World
A Piece of the World is a wonderful book, one of my favorites of this year. It tells the back story of the subject of artist Andrew Wyeth's most famous painting, Christina's World. She is Christina Olson of rural Cushing, Maine, a severely crippled woman who still leads a brave, productive life. Christina Baker Kline tells her story with compassion and admiration, mirroring the attitude of Wyeth who used Olson and her brother as models in many of his works. It is beautifully written, and I could hardly put it down. I will definitely recommend it to my book club.
Karna B. (Long Beach, CA)

A Piece of the World
Thoroughly enjoyed this book and learning about Andrew Wyeth's subject for his painting Christina's World. Kline excels at giving the reader a sense of place and time. Her characters are well-developed. I would definitely recommend this book to my book club.

Christina's World

The Driest Season
    by Meghan Kenny

The House of Broken Angels
    by Luis Alberto Urrea

The definitive Mexican-American immigrant story from an acclaimed storyteller.

Win The Balcony