What readers think of The Wonder, plus links to write your own review.

The Wonder

Lisa Butts

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Wonder

Apa

Had to read for school
No one likes their summer reading assignments for school since most of the time it's a book that you have no interest in at all. But I have to say, this book was very good and I'm glad my school assigned it.
Nancy G

The Wonder
I purchased this book on the strength of the author's first which,in retrospect,was not a good decision.Each book stands on its own and I found this one very disappointing.The Characters seemed one dimensional...more like caricatures and at times I had to remind myself that I was NOT reading a Gothic romance but a serious attempt to describe a different species of confinement both of the body and the spirit.....unfortunately this narrative missed the mark for me ......I think this author is very adept at setting the stage and selecting a story line that should be fascinating....but isn't.....and although her research is impressive particularly as it concerns the body's reaction to slow starvation Anna never really comes alive for me....seeming more like a medical specimen than a little girl....in fact,I wish Anna herself had narrated the story ....THAT might have given me the emotional depth I was looking for and a point of view that was sadly missing....my own personal rating was a 5 out of 10

The Fasting Girls

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Women of Troy
    The Women of Troy
    by Pat Barker
    Set in the liminal days following the Trojan War, The Women of Troy follows Briseis, who the reader ...
  • Book Jacket: The Magician
    The Magician
    by Colm Toibin
    Thomas Mann — the subject of this biographical novel by Colm Tóibín — is ...
  • Book Jacket: Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    by Anthony Doerr
    Anthony Doerr's Cloud Cuckoo Land may be even more remarkable than his Pulitzer-prize winning work ...
  • Book Jacket: The Turnout
    The Turnout
    by Megan Abbott
    'We grew up together,' Dara finally repeated. But Marie only looked at her and said quietly, '...

Morningside Heights
by Joshua Henkin
A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Flesh & Blood
    by N. West Moss

This beautifully written memoir offers insight, understanding, and joy.

Win This Book!
Win Sisters of the Great War

Sisters of the Great War by Suzanne Feldman

A powerful novel of two unconventional American sisters who volunteer at the front during World War I.

L Said, S M