Reader reviews and comments on The Book That Matters Most, plus links to write your own review.

The Book That Matters Most

Aug 2017, 368 pages

There are currently 48 reader reviews for The Book That Matters Most

Laurie

She Gets It
I loved this book because Ann Hood expresses the heartache associated with divorce with such clarity and humanity. Plus, she's got amazing taste in books!
Renee K. (Salem, UT)

The Book That Matters Most by Ann Hood
Thank you for allowing me to review this book. In 2002 I began to emerge from the rock I'd been hiding under, as Ava had done when Jim had left. Though my depressed state was similar to Ava's, the reasons were entirely different and in retrospect, our lives have been different as well. But the feelings were the same, and I had the desire to get back into reading, so I invited a few "safe" friends to join me and we began our book club.

As I read the author's story, I compared both book club groups and found there were many similarities. I felt right at home with this book.

Having the chapters written around each month and each book that had been selected was unique and I looked forward to reading the quotes from each book.

There were many characters, but I was able to keep them all separated in my mind because each had been fairly well developed, regardless of the amount of the story line they represented. My favorite character was Penny; she brought much to the group in a classy way but was not pompous or arrogant.

Maggie's story of addition and erratic behavior was uncomfortable for me to read, yet I wanted to understand her, and found myself being very concerned about her. I really felt she would overdose, so I kept reading about her. It does seem a bit unrealistic that she was able to get clean and stay that way after just one attempt.

While I wouldn't say this was a "page turner", I did find it to be very well written and was totally surprised by the ending, and impressed with the finesse and mastery shown by the author in bringing the story together at the end.

As for "From Clare to Here", I had to look it up to see if it was real...very believable!

It was definitely not one of those books that seems to end suddenly, as if the author only had a certain amount of time to write the book, and finding herself out of time, crammed everything together and abruptly ended the story. I liked it!
Shirin M. (Beverly Hills, CA)

Books and Friendship
Books and friends! What better combination to make for an enjoyable read. The story framed by a book discussion group, in which the choice of book reveals something about each one, just as much as their dialogue and interactions with each other. The main character, Ava's, selection of a beloved book from her childhood, captured my imagination as I was transported with her in searching for the book and the author. The search reveals love, loss, secrets unraveled, and the healing power of both friendship and books. A wonderful reminder that books are like people that turn up in your life when you most need them.
smash

Truly a "book that matters"!
Once I picked this book up, it was so difficult to put it down. I had been drawn to selecting this book because I have always been a reader and instantly wondered what book I would choose for "the book that matters most". I was surprised to find that something else was even more compelling to me. Ann Hood's words spoke to the losses I have lived through in my life. It made me cry and it made my heart smile. I cannot match the circumstances of these lives with mine and I cannot say I would identify with any of the characters. Yet this book wove such a web around me, my thoughts, and my emotions. If you have experienced great pain of loss, this book may be especially for you. But this may also be a "book that matters" for everyone!
Kristen H. (Hagerstown, MD)

Books can Make a Difference.
I found this book to be very well written and I liked how the author gave you a glimpse of the past so that the present day made sense. The struggles that this family went through are very real and can be applied to any family present day as well as the past. The fact that a book can hold so much memories for people is absolutely wonderful and I can see why the title is so appropriate. I would most definitely suggest this for a book club. I would also suggest that each member of the club chose a book that matters most.
Susan B. (Coventry, RI)

The Book That Matters Most
I think that The Book That Matters Most is one of Ann Hood's best. The plot was interesting, especially to a reader, and while there were multiple characters, it was very easy to distinguish one from the other. There were several subplots and and they were introduced and returned to regularly. My favorite section was the plot revolving around the main character's daughter. Once I began reading this book I could not put it down. It is a book to be treasured.
Catherine H. (Nashua, NH)

Excellent
I was not sure I was going to like this book: I was so very wrong! This book is about books and reading but this book is also about so many other important matters: drugs, grief, forgiveness to name a few. Ann Hood is now on my "favorite authors" list.
Barbara F. (Westmont, NJ)

the book that matters most
I have always loved the novels of Ann Hood, and this was no exception. The characters were well developed. I was drawn into Ava's story from the beginning. This would be a good choice for book clubs. I am a member of a long standing book club and love the idea of reading this as a choice and then asking each member to choose a book that is meaningful to them.

Books About Books

• Book Jacket: The Inflamed Mind
    The Inflamed Mind
    by Edward Bullmore
    It is common knowledge that depression diminishes the quality of sufferers' lives, but few people ...
  • Book Jacket: The Adults
    The Adults
    by Caroline Hulse
    Things have already fallen apart on the first page of The Adults. The novel opens with an emergency ...
  • Book Jacket: News of Our Loved Ones
    News of Our Loved Ones
    by Abigail DeWitt
    The Delasalle family of Abigail DeWitt's News of Our Loved Ones are no strangers to the dark specter...
  • Book Jacket: My Sister, the Serial Killer
    My Sister, the Serial Killer
    by Oyinkan Braithwaite
    While the title of the novel gives away the plot, My Sister, the Serial Killer is essentially a ...

Force of Nature
by Jane Harper

As atmospheric, tense, and explosive as her New York Times bestselling debut, The Dry!

At the Wolf's Table
    by Rosella Postorino

The internationally bestselling novel about the women conscripted to be Hitler's food tasters.

Win Uncommon Type

Uncommon Type
by Tom Hanks

Surprising, intelligent, heartwarming, and a must-have for Tom Hanks fans!

Tell I T T M