What readers think of Miss Jane, plus links to write your own review.

by Brad Watson

Miss Jane by Brad Watson X
Miss Jane by Brad Watson

Jul 2016, 224 pages
    Jul 2017, 288 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Miss Jane

Kat F. (Palatine, IL)

A beautiful book
Best thing I've read in years. I would give it 20 stars if I could. I can not share any better than the good reviews already expressed. A well written, beautiful and peaceful book.
Laura E. (El Cajon, CA)

Miss Jane by Brad Watson
What a pleasure this book was! The descriptions of Mississippi during this time period were beautifully written and the characters truly came to life as the story unfolded. I was caught up in this tale immediately and felt sympathy, heartbreak, interest and by the middle of the book total admiration for the main character, Jane. The story is one of a kind and I would definitely recommend this book to my book club, as I am sure the story would lead to discussion in many different directions. Well done, Brad Watson!
Lynne B. (Exeter, NH)

Surprising Treasure of a Read
Miss Jane by Brad Watson is a surprising treasure of a read. This was a totally unexpected story with beautiful writing. So much more than a tale of a girl born with a rare deformity, it is the story of the struggle of one family in the 20s and 30s in rural Mississippi. This family had many secrets, with each character fully developed and their relationships to one another explored as only a talented author can impart. Jane's discovery of her oddity and how she deals with her life is the central theme but how her life changes the plans and dreams of everyone around her is told with grace. This is historical fiction at its best. The time and place envelop you as you read. Mr. Watson explores the true meaning of love and is it best realized through emotional satisfaction or physical pleasure?
Maggie R. (Canoga Park, CA)

Quietly powerful
A beautiful book. Calm as a deep river that flows on despite the occasional turbulence. The character Jane would feel at home in Harper Lee's Maycomb or Marilynne Robinson's Gilead, and with the women young and old in those books whose lives we share and admire as strong and humane. Don't overlook Miss Jane.
Anna S. (Auburn, AL)

Miss Jane
I love this book! Not only is it a compelling story with complex characters, it is beautifully written with sentences to re-read and savor. The title character is a woman born in the early part of the twentieth-century in rural Mississippi with a birth defect that shapes all of her life's choices. Never maudlin, it is a memorable story of courage in the face of adversity.
Barbara B. (Holbrook, NY)

Miss Jane by Brad watson
It took me so long to write this review because I read it as slow as possible to savor it and the writing. It is a beautiful story with sadness but tenderness and bravery as well. I truly loved this book.
Aleksandra E. (Alpharetta, GA)

Excellent, unique, & masterfully written
It is not often that you happen upon a book so eloquently written, interesting in subject matter and overflowing with emotions. Simultaneously heartwarming and heartbreaking, this wonderful novel tapped every single feeling possible. Ultimately I came away with a tremendous sense of the strength of a human spirit that would not embrace defeat and heartache but instead choose to live the best life possible in the circumstances presented. I highly recommend this beautifully written, superb novel that held my interest from start to finish.
Claire M. (Sarasota, FL)

Miss Jane
I love this book! Really love it. Each of us has a story, but the ability to tell it is what keeps most of us from doing so. Brad Watson gives voice to Miss Jane's story in some of the most beautiful writing I've read in a long time. Set in the South, in pre-depression Mississippi up through recent times it is about a rural family coping with their lives in ways often alien to one another. Miss Jane is born with some type of genital defect and since this is relatively unknown in these times her life is compromised in several ways and she attends school for a short period. But her life is fulfilling in so many ways as she teaches herself from keen observation and the natural environment. Jane's life is rich and full though she spends so much of it alone. She is a strong character who intrigues those who come to know her. The friendship she has with Dr. Thompson throughout their lives is special to both-and became so to me. It was also a portrait of the south that appealed to me through its gentle approach to the people and their land. Watson is a storyteller of great power and finesse.

Persistent Cloaca

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Lightning Strike
    Lightning Strike
    by William Kent Krueger
    It is the summer of 1963 in Tamarack County, Minnesota. Just outside the small town of Aurora, ...
  • Book Jacket: Skinship
    Skinship
    by Yoon Choi
    The fine thing about short stories in general is their way of following characters through ...
    The Last Mona Lisa
    by Jonathan Santlofer
    In 1911, the Mona Lisa disappeared from its home at the Louvre in Paris. It took two years for the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Women of Troy
    The Women of Troy
    by Pat Barker
    Set in the liminal days following the Trojan War, The Women of Troy follows Briseis, who the reader ...

Morningside Heights
by Joshua Henkin
A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Flesh & Blood
    by N. West Moss

This beautifully written memoir offers insight, understanding, and joy.

Win This Book!
Win Sisters of the Great War

Sisters of the Great War by Suzanne Feldman

A powerful novel of two unconventional American sisters who volunteer at the front during World War I.

Y A B Up T W T