What readers think of Underground Airlines, plus links to write your own review.

Underground Airlines

by Ben H. Winters

Underground Airlines by Ben H. Winters X
Underground Airlines by Ben H. Winters

Jul 2016, 336 pages

Jul 2017, 336 pages

Gary Presley

There are currently 27 reader reviews for Underground Airlines

Shelley C. (Eastport, NY)

Underground Airlines: A Disappointment
The premise of this book, in which there is an alternate world where slavery is still prevalent in 4 states, seemed very promising. However, too much of the story goes beyond far fetched; even for an alternate world.

The tortured protagonist is better drawn than any of the other characters. But the situations in which he finds himself are just not believable.

The ending seemed to merely be a set up for future novels and was a rushed job at that.

Mr. Winters' writing does shine in places but just not enough to make this book the masterpiece it could have been.
Loren B. (Appleton, WI)

just okay
Having read Ben Winters' The Last Policeman trilogy, I was really looking forward to Underground Airlines. This novel did not capture my attention as did the trilogy. The main character was not fleshed out in my opinion, and the alternate history premise seemed somewhat far-fetched. That being said, this novel was an okay read, but I would recommend the trilogy before this one.
Linda L. (Pickerington, OH)

Did not enjoy Underground Airlines
Alternate worlds and dystopian novels are not my favorite genres, but I hoped this one would be good. The story was very dark, admittedly about a disturbing subject. I felt that the character development throughout the book was not strong enough for the reader to understand the motivations of the characters. Some of the main character's (Victor's) feats strained credulity. I wanted to like and learn from this book, but I did not. I would not recommend this title.

The Underground Railroad

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...
  • Book Jacket: After Sappho
    After Sappho
    by Selby Wynn Schwartz

"Someone will remember us, I say, even in another time."
    —Sappho, fragment ...

• Book Jacket: City Under One Roof
    City Under One Roof
    by Iris Yamashita
    When a disembodied arm and leg wash ashore in Point Mettier, Alaska, most residents assume they ...
  • Book Jacket: We Deserve Monuments
    We Deserve Monuments
    by Jas Hammonds
    Jas Hammonds' debut young adult novel We Deserve Monuments provides a fresh look at the coming-of-...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

Wade in the Water
    by Nyani Nkrumah

A gripping debut novel of female power and vulnerability, race, and class set in a small Mississippi town in the early 1980s.

The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer & Josh Mensch

From two bestselling authors, the true story of the plot to kill Roosevelt, Stalin, and Churchill.

Moonrise Over New Jessup
    by Jamila Minnicks

"Jamila Minnicks pulled me into pages of history I'd never turned before."—Barbara Kingsolver

C To T Q

The thing that cowardice fears most is decision