Reader reviews and comments on The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper, plus links to write your own review.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper

Jan 2017, 288 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper

jamesr

A MOST charming reading experience
Ms Patrick's debut novel touched my heart many times over as I experienced the account of this older British chap's adventures and rebirth, so to speak. I am recommending this book to all of my reading friends (and to anyone else out there listening).

I hope it gets picked up as a movie script one day; Arthur Pepper ranks up there with Carl Fredrickson in "Up".
Brenda S

EXCELLENT READ
I thoroughly enjoyed this charming little book. It explores the themes of trust, adventure, loss & family. It'll make you laugh & cry. I think that fans of "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" would really enjoy this book.
Beth D. (Apple Valley, MN)

For fans of life's second acts
On her 81st birthday, my grandmother married her high school sweetheart. She hadn't seen him for 63 years, though they did exchange letters around the time of their 50th reunion. I love stories like these. People who believe life is to be lived, despite the amount of time one has left.

Arthur Pepper, perhaps to his own surprise, turns out to be one of these people. He reflects on this a few times throughout the book, that instead of being in x situation (or, frankly, predicament) he could be back in his armchair, quietly living out his days. But how much he'd miss out on, even if it would be easier (or, frankly, more enjoyable) if he'd skipped saying yes to new adventures. Or if he'd had less curiosity.

This isn't a new message - it seems to be a current trend in fiction, with popularity of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and A Man Called Ove, to name just two - but I enjoyed this version. The hook, that he is tracking down the meaning behind his wife's charm bracelet, works for me. The stories behind each are just oddball enough to keep the plot moving. I liked the characters, preferring Arthur to Ove, and the blue pants. And I appreciate the tension between Arthur's missing his wife and wanting to continue living.

I recommend this book!

Oh, and my grandmother? She had four years of wedded bliss before her second husband passed away. But another 14 years of a full, happy life after that, passing away at the age of 99.
Susan P. (Boston, MA)

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
A retired older widower in England is cleaning out his wife's closet a year after her death (he can finally face it) and finds a charm bracelet he never knew existed. Based on various clues from the charms and from the people he speaks with/meets, he discovered his wife had an interesting life before they met. He thinks he doesn't want to know some of this but learns a great deal (especially about himself and some about his daughter). Like some older people, he's set in his ways but it really is a tender story. For anyone who enjoyed Major Pettigrew and Harold Fry.
Tillie

Heartwarming
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. A story of "you're never too old" to start living. A book of mixed feelings and discovering oneself even when you thought you were too old and set in your ways to have such wonderful discoveries. The book takes us from a small town in England, to London, Paris and India. I truly loved this book, even though I'm not fond of British books.
Mark O. (Wenatchee, WA)

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper: an all-ages book
The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper is a satisfying hybrid – an archeology of a life and a coming-of-age story. Arthur Pepper, in the infancy of old age, tracks along his late wife's backstory, following the clues of her tucked-away charm bracelet. Most coming-of-age stories are about the hard transition from child to adult. Arthur finds that he is fossilizing. But in a kind of elder adolescence, Arthur begins adventuring. Reading The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper is a sovereign remedy against old thinking.

I think that The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper is an all-ages book, at least from YA to OA. This book could be a Common Read for an extended family, the discussions (or posts or tweets) cross-linking generations.
Marie D. (Waretown, NJ)

A wonderful tale of love and learning
Such an enjoyable read! A real page turner – not to learn who dunnit – but to keep up with Arthur on his remarkable journey of discovery! The story is "charming," sweet, and portrays an adult view of living and loving. Without using a soap box, the author has gently spoken much about friendship, family, and the inevitable joys and sorrows of aging. All the characters are rendered fully. And the reader has a real investment in knowing their stories as well.The world was a better place after Arthur Pepper took charge!
Tillie H. (Baltimore, MD)

Wonderful book

• Book Jacket: American Prison
    American Prison
    by Shane Bauer
    After spending over two years in Iran's notorious Evin Prison for supposedly crossing the country's ...
  • Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott

A crowning achievement of one of the finest American writers at work today.

Sold on a Monday
    by Kristina McMorris

An unforgettable novel inspired by a stunning piece of history.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter