What readers think of Our Souls at Night, plus links to write your own review.

Our Souls at Night

Jun 2016, 192 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Our Souls at Night

Judith Bates

Knowing Love
This is a short book, only 179 pages, and it is Kent Haruf's last book before he passed away and, of course, it takes place in Holt, Colorado. I think this is the best of his books,, although they are all good! It is a story about two senior people who have been "sort of friend" for many years. She knew his wife, but they were not close friends. Both his wife and her husband have passed away. This is a story that will make you happy and sad! It is undoubtedly one of the best stories I have ever read! It is a story about two people who "find" each other; there is happiness and sadness! Read it you will like it!!!!! It is the perfect story!!
Judith Bates

Knowing Love
This is a short book, only 179 pages, and it is Kent Haruf's last book before he passed away and, of course, it takes place in Holt, Colorado. I think this is the best of his books,, although they are all good! It is a story about two senior people who have been "sort of friend" for many years. She knew his wife, but they were not close friends. Both his wife and her husband have passed away. This is a story that will make you happy and sad! It is undoubtedly one of the best stories I have ever read! It is a story about two people who "find" each other; there is happiness and sadness! Read it you will like it! It is the perfect story!
mary

our souls at night
Very good book. It will bring forth a good discussion for our book group.
CarolK

The Power of Touch
The premise of Our Souls At Night grabbed my attention. I’ve been married 45 years and can easily count the nights I have not slept in the same bed with my husband. As we age we think more about the inevitable parting that will come. I could easily relate to the idea of a widow wanting the closeness and comfort of someone to share her nights, a warm body, but more than that, someone to talk with and ease into a soothing sleep.

The opening line, “And then there was the day Addie Moore made a call on Louis Waters.” tells it all. Every review or publisher’s promotion tells why Addie is knocking on Louis’ door. What I wanted to know is how her proposition works out.

Kent Haruf knew he was dying when he penned Our Souls At Night. I can only imagine what this story meant to he and his wife. Haruf is a man of few words but managed to stir my emotions is his sparse novel. It’s a story about aging, loneliness and yearning, simply told. I easily identified with the characters and rooted for a happy ending. Some would say it was but I would go back to this quote “Who does ever get what they want?” in wonder.

Though I rated Our Souls At Night very good, I did feel a bit conflicted. A choice the author chooses for his character didn’t quite ring true for me. Suffice it to say there are elements here worthy of discussion and I’m open to other opinions.
Diane S.

Our souls at night
Once again, or rather from the last time, we return to Holt, in another simply told narrative, featuring ordinary people that are doing something less than ordinary. This is always where Haruf's talents were so admirably displayed. He took the ordinary, the common and made poignant, readable stories.

Adele and Lewis, lived in the same town, the same neighborhood for most of their married lives. At the age of seventy both have now lost their spouses. But does, this mean they most join the ranks of the lonely, backward looking, no future to look forward to, or can they do something about it. Of course small towns are notorious for gossip, some who love to do nothing but criticize and make sure others, close to the couple know exactly what is going on.

Loved this story, so much hope, little joys and sorrows shared, just the fact that regardless of age there can be a future, one need not just give up and live only in the past. Such a powerful message, so tenderly and respectfully rendered. In the last quarter there is a little surprise, a bit of author's whimsy shall we say, but only those familiar with his other books will understand and grin.

Both sincere and wonderful this last book, shorter than his others , but still imparting every day's wisdom and challenges.

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Klara and the Sun
    Klara and the Sun
    by Kazuo Ishiguro
    Klara and the Sun by Nobel Prize-winning author Kazuo Ishiguro drops the reader into a fictional ...
  • Book Jacket: The Lost Apothecary
    The Lost Apothecary
    by Sarah Penner
    Sarah Penner's debut novel The Lost Apothecary was rated 4 or 5 stars by 22 of our 23 First ...
  • Book Jacket: The Spymaster of Baghdad
    The Spymaster of Baghdad
    by Margaret Coker
    For the last 17 years, the country of Iraq has known almost constant violence and political upheaval...
  • Book Jacket: Hades, Argentina
    Hades, Argentina
    by Daniel Loedel
    Daniel Loedel's debut novel, Hades, Argentina, opens in 1986 when we meet Tomás Orillo, a young...

The Northern Reach
    by W.S. Winslow

What is the weight of the stories we choose to tell...and the burdens of those we hide?

Smalltime
    by Russell Shorto

Family secrets emerge as a best-selling author dives into the history of the mob in small-town America.

The Narrowboat Summer
by Anne Youngson
From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.
Win This Book!
Win Band of Sisters

Band of Sisters
by Lauren Willig

"A crackling portrayal of everyday American heroines…A triumph."
— Fiona Davis