Reader reviews and comments on Whispering Shadows, plus links to write your own review.

by Jan-Philipp Sendker

Whispering Shadows by Jan-Philipp Sendker X
Whispering Shadows by Jan-Philipp Sendker

Apr 2015, 352 pages
    Feb 2016, 352 pages

There are currently 64 reader reviews for Whispering Shadows

Sarah H. (Arvada, CO)

Characters are as strong as story
Sometimes character development and depth can take a backseat to the plot in a crime story. That is not the case with this lovely book that draws you in from the first pages. The author does a wonderful job of creating the environment for you, I felt like I was there with the main character each step of the way. This an excellent combination of engaging characters and life themes, along with a well developed plot.
Mary B. (St Paul, MN)

Whispering Shadows
I enjoyed this book from the very beginning. The narratives of the sights, sounds, and history of Hong Kong, Lamma Island, Shenzhen,China and the surrounding areas were as important as the main characters and their individual stories. The food written about throughout the story was especially enticing! The main character, Paul,has struggled through life after a loss and finds himself involved with people and events that force him to open up to the world again. The novel is about loss, relationships, not just romantic ones, redemption and the solving of a crime. Very interesting and informative story.
Erin F. (Easton, MD)

A Compelling Read!
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. I normally don't read this type of story. I could not put it down and I read it in 2 days.

The crime aspect of this novel is compelling, but my favorite part was the characters and the relationships between them. The romance between Paul and Christine is not the typical love story, but I enjoyed seeing these two people, each with their own issues, fall I love.

Zhang's story was also compelling. Actually, he had 2 stories, his part in the present story as Paul's friend and a police detective and his past secrets that come out in his investigation.

Not knowing anything about China, I enjoyed reading about day to day life in China including business and police work. Corruption, politics and secrets seem to be everywhere.
Frankie G. (Madera, CA)

Whispering Shadows spoke to me
Author new, just jump right in with both feet! As I read the first paragraphs I felt a strong pull to the character who had gone through what I had --loss of a beloved child. Familiar desire to hide and lick wounds, aching for him. Elizabeth came along and added her anxiety for her own lost son; I read faster and faster and soon met the kindred policeman who linked himself with me and became a friend as we began the search for the truth about the missing young man from America. Jan-Philipp Sender has a remarkable gift with words and story. I will read anything he has written from now on.

Highly recommended for anyone who is willing to feel and to hope and love.
Kathryn B. (Bronx, NY)

Whispering Shadows
Whispering Shadows by Jan-Philipp Sendker is a mystery intertwined with romance. The setting is Hong Kong and China and so vividly described that the reader is easily transported to the area. The characters are strong, complex and beautifully developed.
Paul, a recluse, gets involved in solving the murder of an American businessman. The man's mother asks Paul for help and Paul struggles with the loss of his own son which has left him leading a hermit's life.
This well developed story tells in depth the history, culture and geography of China and how such has shaped the individuals in the story.
While a mystery is solved, the real story is how Paul overcame his grief and learned how to let love and trust in a friend transform his life.
I look forward to reading more of Sendeker's books.
Louise E. (Gaithersburg, MD)

Is it A Mystery or A Love Story
Whispering Shadows is a well written mystery/love story. It deals with the challenges of keeping secrets from friends and the death of a loved one while solving the mysterious disappearance of a businessman. The author includes wonderful descriptions of life in China and Hong Kong. It was a real page turner for me because I wanted to know what motivated Paul's, Zhang's, and Christine's behaviors. Rooting for Paul and I was very happy with how the story ended. This is the first book I have read by Sendker and would like to read his others.
Lesley M. (Mesa, AZ)

Whispering Shadows
Great mystery that takes place in China, An American businessman is murdered and in the midst of discovering the killer, the reader is given an in depth description of the culture, people, history and food of China. Place is a definite character in the book. Many of the character's lives have been shaped by China's cultural revolution, so this adds to the character development. This is a finely crafted story that kept me intrigued from beginning to end. Can't wait to read the author's next novel!
Nanette S. (Indiana)

Whispering Shadows
Excellent story about love, loss, friendship and mystery in a culture that has changed over the years in China. The story is told from a few different points of view, which helps in discovering how the characters feel in their situations, and how they reflect with each other. Paul, an American, who has lived in China for thirty years, meets another American, who is having issues with her son and asks Paul for advice while sitting in a cafe. Paul reluctantly helps as little as possible. He is somewhat of a loner and speaks with his policeman friend to get some advise and help for the American woman so he could be rid of the problem and not have to contact her again, and this is where the mystery begins. Good story for book clubs to discuss. We have a few different topics in this story that could easily be discussed within a group.

• Book Jacket: The Inflamed Mind
    The Inflamed Mind
    by Edward Bullmore
    It is common knowledge that depression diminishes the quality of sufferers' lives, but few people ...
  • Book Jacket: The Adults
    The Adults
    by Caroline Hulse
    Things have already fallen apart on the first page of The Adults. The novel opens with an emergency ...
  • Book Jacket: News of Our Loved Ones
    News of Our Loved Ones
    by Abigail DeWitt
    The Delasalle family of Abigail DeWitt's News of Our Loved Ones are no strangers to the dark specter...
  • Book Jacket: My Sister, the Serial Killer
    My Sister, the Serial Killer
    by Oyinkan Braithwaite
    While the title of the novel gives away the plot, My Sister, the Serial Killer is essentially a ...

Force of Nature
by Jane Harper

As atmospheric, tense, and explosive as her New York Times bestselling debut, The Dry!

House of Stone
    by Novuyo Rosa Tshuma

A masterful debut, pulsing with dark humor, that explores the often destructive act of history-making.

Win Uncommon Type

Uncommon Type
by Tom Hanks

Surprising, intelligent, heartwarming, and a must-have for Tom Hanks fans!

Tell I T T M