Reader reviews and comments on A Kim Jong-Il Production, plus links to write your own review.

A Kim Jong-Il Production

The Extraordinary True Story of a Kidnapped Filmmaker, His Star Actress, and a Young Dictator's Rise to Power

by Paul Fischer

A Kim Jong-Il Production by Paul Fischer X
A Kim Jong-Il Production by Paul Fischer

Feb 2015, 368 pages
    Nov 2015, 368 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for A Kim Jong-Il Production

Heather F. (Louisville, KY)

Let us entertain you...
Only in North Korea could this fantastical truth be stranger than any fiction. Kidnapping a South Korean Movie star and Director is the story but Fischer provides a good base for the general history if the region as well. Film buffs will definitely enjoy but so will anyone interested in the enigma that is North Korea. Entertaining and informative.
Judith S. (Binghamton, NY)

Fascinating Peek into North Korea
This book, although non-fiction, reads like a thriller. Mr. Fischer provides the reader with a fascinating look into the politics and culture of North Korea. The author deftly juxtaposes a love story with the cruelty of the North Korean regime. This book is a must read for anyone who has visited Korea or has an interest in traveling to lovely South Korea. Reading this book provokes significant thought and soul searching relative to perceptions of the United States in parts of the world opposed to our beliefs and culture. Certainly very timely in terms of the SONY issue as well.
Peggy H. (North East, PA)

Hard to believe its true
The recent events with the Sony hacking make this story even more fascinating! It is hard to believe that it is true...but I guess no one will be able to make a movie of it now!
Although parts do drag a bit, the story itself makes wonderful reading!
Joan B. (Ellicott City, MD)

Kim Jong Il Production
I found a great interest in Korea, because of a dear friend whose family emigrated from South Korea. After reading THE ORPHAN MASTER'S SON, I wanted to know some "real" facts about the Korean culture. ...PRODUCTION is advertised as nonfiction. It is fascinating to think that so many millions are willing to be such sheep. The cruelty with which Shin and Choi were treated after each kidnapping is mind boggling. They had such patience in planning their eventual escape. But more amazing than the stoicism of their behavior is the complete freedom Kim Jong Il had in creating his film kingdom.

This Book Browse selection turned out to be quite timely. I find it supremely arrogant of Sony pcitures to release a comedy about such a corrupt and despicable country. Is anyone really surprised that the Koreans took exception to such a crude choice for comedy.I cannot condone the Korean's actions any more than I agree with the subject of this movie.
Lesley F. (San Diego, CA)

North Korea: The Secret Is Out
A movie star and a director from South Korea are kidnapped to North Korea to satisfy the dictator's need for good film-making. After years of isolation, torture, and misery, they are able to make a daring escape. A history book that reads like a thriller, a love story crying out to be filmed, and more exciting than fiction. The truth is finally out and hard to comprehend, let alone being stranger than fiction. Just as the news is reporting North Korea's attack on American film, this book has explained the history of North Korea's fascination with "the movies" and Kim Jong-Il's Production has a real life sequel! Will it be published or hacked as well?
Susan S. (Lafayette, CA)

Life and Movie-making in the worst country on earth
I highly recommend this. It was hard to put down. North Korea is so strange and horrible that I actually think it's pretty difficult for a book about it not to be interesting and this was no exception to that. Aside from the fascinating (and horrific) details about the cult of personality that has been built up around the leaders of the country (and which has basically destroyed the country) the idea of a dictator abducting two prominent movie figures from another country in order to force them to make movies in his country sounds so ridiculous that you wouldn't believe it, except that it actually happened. And anyone who has not already read other books about what life is like for average citizens in North Korea will find this astonishing.
Dev

A Timely Story
Wow -- what an eye-opener this book was. I knew nothing about North Korea until recently. The current crisis with Sony Pictures illustrates the point this book makes -- and frankly I'm afraid to review it! I also wonder if it will be published!
Erica M. (Chicago, IL)

Shrimp among whales
I have long been fascinated by North Korea. The suppression that has occurred to millions of people, the manipulation by the government and the alternate universe created by those in power is hard for me to wrap my head around (in the same manner as trying to understand how justification of a man "owning" a human being has been incomprehensible for me), so I keep reading about it to get some idea of how to understand it. This was a superb work of literature. Not only did Fischer describe the separate and combined stories of the capture and captivity of Shin and Choi, but he told it in the context of their lives before the kidnappings, the manner in which the North Korean government manipulated its citizens and Kim Jong Il's fascination with movies and movie making. He never lost site of the title of his book and told the story from the perspective of how all of life in North Korea was "produced" for a planned outcome. The book is compelling; the storytelling well-paced. When background is needed to understand an aspect of the stories of Shin and Choi it is given - at just the right time. Excellent story telling.

Propaganda and its Uses

• Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...
    The Islamic Enlightenment
    by Christopher de Bellaigue
  • Book Jacket: The Spy of Venice
    The Spy of Venice
    by Benet Brandreth
    Benet Brandreth's delightfully diverting historical thriller brings the Bard to vibrant life. ...

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott

A crowning achievement of one of the finest American writers at work today.

Sold on a Monday
    by Kristina McMorris

An unforgettable novel inspired by a stunning piece of history.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter