What readers think of A Man Called Ove, plus links to write your own review.

A Man Called Ove

Linda Hitchcock

There are currently 13 reader reviews for A Man Called Ove

Mar

Very Moving
There were many funny moments in this book, but I would hardly call it comedic. There were many tearful moments for me as I read this. Wonderful book. One of the best I've read in ages.
Beckyh

A MAN CALLED OVE by Fredrik Backman
To say Ove was set in his ways would be a gross understatement. But Ove’s wife loved him and he loved her. Life was good until tragedy struck – twice. Now Ove is alone and wishes to kill himself, but life intervenes in the guise of neighbors, friends, enemies and Ove himself.
Strong characters, a sure sense of time and place and a plot that meanders to a well thought out conclusion combine to make a tale well worth reading. Book groups will find plenty to talk about – lonely people, compromise of principle, suicide, anger, family, friendship, neighborliness, and Ove’s signature statement – “What is right is right” always – maybe.
5 of 5 stars
Ruth Fiscer

Few writers today can compare to his talent
He introduces his characters a little at a time and doesn' t spoil their quirks by giving too much information about them too quickly. One of my favorite books in a long time!
Lynn Morneau

Delightful
Ove is a loveable, unforgettable character. His grumpiness is hysterically funny and barely masks his capacity to love selfishlessly. I could not put this book down and was terribly sad when it was finished.
Carol Wiel

An Exceptional Grumpy Old Man
I enjoyed reading A Man Called Ove. I have many grumpy old men in my life and I could relate to Ove's personality. It is interesting that his name is so close to the word "love" minus the first letter. And Ove was capable of love in spite of all his grumpiness. I would recommend this book to friends.
Marta

Touching Story
Realistic characters. Don't let this one slip through.
RebeccaR

Stick With It -It's Worth It
At first I had difficulty getting into Backman's novel about a grumpy older man. However, I advise readers to stick with the story; both the story and the seeming curmudgeon will worm their way into your heart. The story seemed unique to me, and I liked that. At times I laughed out loud, followed by scenes that tugged at the heart strings. I think this would be a good book for book clubs.
RebeccaR

Funny, Sad, Touching, Unique
I hate to admit it, but I had never heard of this author or this best selling book ( A Man Called Ove) until I received the author's latest book through BookBrowse. I am really glad that I bought and read "Ove" and plan to tell several friends about it. The main character (need I say it is Ove) really came to life in my mind, as did his entire community. At times I laughed out loud with this book and other times it was simply poignant. The story's unique curmudgeon is a believable character whose tough exterior leads to some funny comments. It is difficult to say much about the plot without major spoiler alerts. This is definitely a good choice for book clubs; everyone will find something to like and/or dislike and talk about.

A Brief History of Saab Cars

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Chasing Me to My Grave
    Chasing Me to My Grave
    by Winfred Rembert
    Chasing Me to My Grave might be the most authentic, vulnerable autobiography you'll ever read. ...
  • Book Jacket: My Monticello
    My Monticello
    by Jocelyn Nicole Johnson
    In the incendiary opening story of My Monticello, Jocelyn Nicole Johnson's debut collection, a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wrong End of the Telescope
    The Wrong End of the Telescope
    by Rabih Alameddine
    Rabih Alameddine's The Wrong End of the Telescope follows Mina, a Lebanese American doctor who ...
  • Book Jacket: Lightning Strike
    Lightning Strike
    by William Kent Krueger
    It is the summer of 1963 in Tamarack County, Minnesota. Just outside the small town of Aurora, ...

When Two Feathers Fell from the Sky
by Margaret Verble
A deliciously strange and daringly original novel from Pulitzer Prize finalist Margaret Verble.

Sisters of the Great War
    by Suzanne Feldman

A powerful novel of two unconventional American sisters who volunteer at the front during World War I.

Wherever they burn books, in the end will also burn human beings.

Y A B Up T W T