Reader reviews and comments on A Man Called Ove, plus links to write your own review.

A Man Called Ove

Linda Hitchcock

There are currently 13 reader reviews for A Man Called Ove

Mar

Very Moving
There were many funny moments in this book, but I would hardly call it comedic. There were many tearful moments for me as I read this. Wonderful book. One of the best I've read in ages.
Beckyh

A MAN CALLED OVE by Fredrik Backman
To say Ove was set in his ways would be a gross understatement. But Ove’s wife loved him and he loved her. Life was good until tragedy struck – twice. Now Ove is alone and wishes to kill himself, but life intervenes in the guise of neighbors, friends, enemies and Ove himself.
Strong characters, a sure sense of time and place and a plot that meanders to a well thought out conclusion combine to make a tale well worth reading. Book groups will find plenty to talk about – lonely people, compromise of principle, suicide, anger, family, friendship, neighborliness, and Ove’s signature statement – “What is right is right” always – maybe.
5 of 5 stars
Ruth Fiscer

Few writers today can compare to his talent
He introduces his characters a little at a time and doesn' t spoil their quirks by giving too much information about them too quickly. One of my favorite books in a long time!
Lynn Morneau

Delightful
Ove is a loveable, unforgettable character. His grumpiness is hysterically funny and barely masks his capacity to love selfishlessly. I could not put this book down and was terribly sad when it was finished.
Carol Wiel

An Exceptional Grumpy Old Man
I enjoyed reading A Man Called Ove. I have many grumpy old men in my life and I could relate to Ove's personality. It is interesting that his name is so close to the word "love" minus the first letter. And Ove was capable of love in spite of all his grumpiness. I would recommend this book to friends.
Marta

Touching Story
Realistic characters. Don't let this one slip through.
RebeccaR

Stick With It -It's Worth It
At first I had difficulty getting into Backman's novel about a grumpy older man. However, I advise readers to stick with the story; both the story and the seeming curmudgeon will worm their way into your heart. The story seemed unique to me, and I liked that. At times I laughed out loud, followed by scenes that tugged at the heart strings. I think this would be a good book for book clubs.
RebeccaR

Funny, Sad, Touching, Unique
I hate to admit it, but I had never heard of this author or this best selling book ( A Man Called Ove) until I received the author's latest book through BookBrowse. I am really glad that I bought and read "Ove" and plan to tell several friends about it. The main character (need I say it is Ove) really came to life in my mind, as did his entire community. At times I laughed out loud with this book and other times it was simply poignant. The story's unique curmudgeon is a believable character whose tough exterior leads to some funny comments. It is difficult to say much about the plot without major spoiler alerts. This is definitely a good choice for book clubs; everyone will find something to like and/or dislike and talk about.

A Brief History of Saab Cars

• Book Jacket: Treeborne
    Treeborne
    by Caleb Johnson
    The Treeborne family has lived on The Seven – the local sobriquet for a seven-acre stretch of ...
    Grace