Reader reviews and comments on Ruby, plus links to write your own review.

Ruby

Lucy Rock

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Ruby

Debra

Amazing
The writing is so descriptive that it transports you into the very soul of Ruby. I was especially moved by the development of relationships and the healing power of love as translated in the development of characters. There are also very disturbing scenes and very disturbing descriptions of the hateful nature of racism and violence against women in this country.

I was moved and transported into the story which is a rare occurrence.
Beverly

Impressive Debut
Bond’s impressive debut flourishing with exquisite language nails the complexities of the heart and survival in this deeply affecting tale. It is the 1940s in East Texas and young Ruby is plagued with a beauty tempting men to unspeakable evils; escaping to New York, never fully escaping her past, she returns to her home. As the town and its inhabitants languish in Ruby’s tumultuous situations, keeping its own secrets close to the chest, Ephram, an outcast himself, reaches out to Ruby in love. The piney woods of East Texas set the mood of the time and place evoking mystical elements that both cower and protect. Concepts of victims victimizing, unimaginable resiliency of the human spirit, and evil lurking makes this an amazing page turner. As it has been often said it is the job of a writer to give voice to those who cannot speak for themselves, and Bond has shed light on those we often want to push aside. I recommend this book for fans of Sugar and those who like well-crafted language with a dark undertone.

Hoodoo

The Last Ballad
    by Wiley Cash
    The Graybar Hotel
    by Curtis Dawkins
  • Book Jacket: We Own the Sky
    We Own the Sky
    by Luke Allnutt
    Rob and Anna Coates have an idyllic life together; they have successful careers, love each other ...
  • Book Jacket: Some Trick
    Some Trick
    by Helen DeWitt
    In this erudite collection of 13 stories, Helen DeWitt explores the theme of stymied creativity, ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Rules of Magic

Win up to 12 copies for you & your book club!

The spellbinding prequel to Alice Hoffman's bestselling Practical Magic.

M T G Before I S