MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on On The Rez, plus links to write your own review.

On The Rez

by Ian Frazier

On The Rez

Dec 1999, 311 pages
    May 2001, 320 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for On The Rez

Nina (05/03/04)

Frazier means very well in this book, but not everybody is as charmed by him as he is by himself. Sherman Alexie pointed out , and I think he's got a point, that Frazier seems to think that he is "a white man who is magically unlike all other white men in his relationship to American Indians." Similarly, while I don't think there's anything wrong in his "need for a hero"-- although it is extremely overwhelming, and just as a side-note, what sort of person asks himself seriously whether or not Crazy Horse would have spent money on remodeling a kitchen?-- I do wonder why he places such emphasis on his own feelings about SuAnne Big Crow. He is quite concerned that the reader notice his "decency," I think, and one way to demonstrate "decency" is to show Deep Emotion. I don't wish to mock what I am sure is a sincere access of feeling on his part: but I also wonder how some residents of Pine Ridge feel about a white man claiming their hero as his own. I'm guessing that some are pleased that her heroism has crossed racial boundaries-- but might not others be wondering when they'll be let to have something of their own that isn't immediately snapped up and fetishized by white people? All in all, I think this book is as respectful as it knows how to be, but it romanticizes where it scolds other people for romanticizing, and it fetishizes where it purports not to, and finally it made me very, very tired.
Julie (04/17/02)

The method of addressing readers is very old-fashioned, along with his need for a hero in SuAnne Big Crow.

• Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun