MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on On The Rez, plus links to write your own review.

On The Rez

by Ian Frazier

On The Rez

Dec 1999, 311 pages
    May 2001, 320 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for On The Rez

Nina (05/03/04)

Frazier means very well in this book, but not everybody is as charmed by him as he is by himself. Sherman Alexie pointed out , and I think he's got a point, that Frazier seems to think that he is "a white man who is magically unlike all other white men in his relationship to American Indians." Similarly, while I don't think there's anything wrong in his "need for a hero"-- although it is extremely overwhelming, and just as a side-note, what sort of person asks himself seriously whether or not Crazy Horse would have spent money on remodeling a kitchen?-- I do wonder why he places such emphasis on his own feelings about SuAnne Big Crow. He is quite concerned that the reader notice his "decency," I think, and one way to demonstrate "decency" is to show Deep Emotion. I don't wish to mock what I am sure is a sincere access of feeling on his part: but I also wonder how some residents of Pine Ridge feel about a white man claiming their hero as his own. I'm guessing that some are pleased that her heroism has crossed racial boundaries-- but might not others be wondering when they'll be let to have something of their own that isn't immediately snapped up and fetishized by white people? All in all, I think this book is as respectful as it knows how to be, but it romanticizes where it scolds other people for romanticizing, and it fetishizes where it purports not to, and finally it made me very, very tired.
Julie (04/17/02)

The method of addressing readers is very old-fashioned, along with his need for a hero in SuAnne Big Crow.

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

Spinster
by Kate Bolick

A bold, original, moving book that will inspire fanatical devotion and ignite debate.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T