What readers think of How the Light Gets In, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel, #9

by Louise Penny

How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny X
How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny

Aug 2013, 416 pages

Jul 2014, 416 pages

There are currently 39 reader reviews for How the Light Gets In

Carolyn G. (Catskill, NY)

Do yourself a favor and read this book!
Louise Penny's latest Chief Inspector Armand Gamache mystery, set in Quebec and alternating between the the urban and countryside settings so well known to her faithful readers, is a triumph of suspense and decades long secrets. I loved how all of the pieces came together at the end and how I didn't have to remember details of her previous works to appreciate this dazzling, if slowly evolving, mystery of greed, evil, loneliness and, finally, terror. Her protagonist, the Chief Inspector, is supported by a coterie of characters living in Three Pines, the tea cosy village where Gamache is welcomed as he investigates one murder and solves a second, enormous province-wide threat that affects those he loves and those who have no idea that they are being threatened. I really enjoyed getting to know the Chief better and understanding what drives him. Penny does an excellent job of drawing you in and allowing you to watch a great, investigative mind at work. The only thing missing was the occasional wise-beyond-their-years children, but I forgive Penny this lapse because there was Rosa the Duck and who could ask for more? I highly recommend this book and can't wait to go back and reread Penny's eight other offerings. Thank you BookBrowse for bringing enjoyment to my life!
Pam S. (Wellesley, MA)

Surprising how interesting a little Quebec village can be!
Although this is the eighth in the author's series of mysteries set in rural Quebec and featuring Montreal homicide detective Armande Gamache, it was the first of the series that I have read. The story was interesting, fast-paced and complicated in the best possible way. There were two major parallel story lines - one involving the murder of a reclusive elderly woman just before she was to travel to tiny Quebec village Three Pines for Christmas; the other involving a massive government conspiracy. Gamache is a thoughtful middle aged less-than-successful detective whose understanding of human nature is an important element in his solving cases and mysteries. Although set in a completely different location, the book reminded me of the Inspector Guido Brunetti mysteries set in Venice by Donna Leon. In both series, characters (the detective and his family and friends) and setting are important aspects of the stories. Psychological investigation is important in both as well and it is often an understanding of human nature that leads the investigator to discover the truth. This was my first Louise Penny mystery but will definitely not be my last.
Lois P. (Logan, UT)

Expectations Exceeded
I'd like to join Louise Penny's many fans in a standing ovation! What a wonderful Three Pines mystery--compelling, complex and beautifully written. I didn't want to leave the company of Inspector Gamache and his friends. Lovers of interesting, character-driven stories shouldn't miss this series.
Jennifer B. (Oviedo, FL)

How the Light Gets In
Mystery stories should be enthralling. This book does that and even surpasses previous Armand Gamache books. The suspenceful turns captured my attention. Louise Penny's graceful use of language reminds me of O. Henry in style. I look forward to each of her books like a child anticipates Christmas!
Sharon W. (Columbia, SC)

Once Again
Louise Penny never fails to deliver. Her prose captures me completely, making me want to know Gamache, visit Quebec, and follow the trail to discovery myself. How the Light Gets In is another delightful mystery from Louise Penny. Her writing is poetic! Other mystery fans are sure to love this novel, too.
Susan M. (Ashland, OR)

How the Light Gets In
Penny is a gifted writer! Having read her previous books in the Chief Inspector Gamache series I wondered how she would tie up loose ends. She did so in unexpected ways which left me marveling at how it she made it work.
She has the ability to make you feel the stinging cold of driving snow on hot July day.
This book does stand alone if you've not read the others in this series but why deprive yourself of a good read.
Deborah C. (Seattle, WA)

Another Winner From Louise Penny!
I am a huge Louise Penny fan but was really disappointed with her last book, The Beautiful Mystery, which I thought was boring and slow. I am happy to report that she is back on track!

One of the main reasons I like Louise Penny is that she does such a good job of developing her characters--they are real and imperfect people who grow and change, not just cardboard cutouts as is often the case in other mysteries. I also love her descriptions of Three Pines--she makes it sound so idyllic that I wish it were a real place so that I could move there!

How the Light Gets In ties up some loose ends from previous books, so I would not recommend starting with it. This is not a fast-paced mystery with lots of action, but anyone who enjoys good writing and fascinating characters will love this book.
Alan K. (Westport, MA)

Another hit for Penny
Although this is number nine in the Gamache series and does answer many unanswered questions from past books, it can certainly be read as a stand alone. Penny's characters are well-developed with Gamache as the moral gauge. The plot and mystery is complex, subtle and quite memorable. Highly recommended especially for mystery fans who like something a bit different.

Make Room for Ducklings?

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

Cecilia
    by K-Ming Chang
    In the first few pages of K-Ming Chang's bizarre yet engrossing novella Cecilia, Seven, the ...
  • Book Jacket: Women and Children First
    Women and Children First
    by Alina Grabowski
    After Lucy Anderson falls to her death at a high school party, no one in Nashquitten, her gloomy, ...
  • Book Jacket: Henry Henry
    Henry Henry
    by Allen Bratton
    Allen Bratton's Henry Henry chronicles a year in the life of Hal Lancaster. Readers already ...
  • Book Jacket: The Last Murder at the End of the World
    The Last Murder at the End of the World
    by Stuart Turton
    The island is the only safe place left on Earth. Since a deadly fog overtook the planet, the ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The Pecan Children
by Quinn Connor
Look on the Bright Side
by Kristan Higgins
From the author of Pack Up the Moon comes a funny, romantic, and moving novel about life's unexpected rewards.
Win This Book
Win The Bluestockings

The Bluestockings by Susannah Gibson

An illuminating group portrait of the eighteenth-century women who dared to imagine an active life for themselves in both mind and spirit.

A W in S C