Reader reviews and comments on Amy Falls Down, plus links to write your own review.

Amy Falls Down

by Jincy Willett

Amy Falls Down by Jincy Willett

Jul 2013, 336 pages
    Jul 2014, 336 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Amy Falls Down

Patricia S. (Yankton, SD)

Amy Rises Again
I first met Amy Gallup and her creator Jincy Willet a few years ago when I read Winner of the National Book Award. What a delight to encounter her again in Amy Falls Down. And what a delight this book is. It is hard to classify. It is literate, quirky, laugh out loud funny, and at the same time poignant. It is also just the inspiration I needed to get out my notebooks and develop some of my collected ideas in to stories again.
Shirley D. (Amherst, MA)

AMY FALLS DOWN
I wish Amy lived nearby! and regret she is fictional. We could have great times. I had to keep turning pages as quickly as I could - I really wanted to know what she did next. The writing was exceptional and the humor dry and delightful. A reader would do well to have a real space of time to read before even meeting Amy!
Beth T. (Savannah, GA)

I Love Amy!
What a fun, fun book. It's quirky, and difficult to describe in a way that conveys just what a delight it is -- but if you love books, and reading, and writing, and struggling writers, and dogs, and women, and unpredictable changes, and -- oh hell -- just read it! You will be glad you did! Now I can't wait to read the rest of Jincy Willett's collection.
Joan R. (Chicago, IL)

A Wonderful Blend of Laughter and Poignancy
This is a terrific book and I urge everyone to read it. While Willett nicely skewers the publishing world with a cast of characters and adventures certain to make you laugh out loud, she also adds very poignant moments from Amy's life, both past and present. Willett's description of Alphonse the bassett hound barking at ants in the moonlight brought me to tears. I have discovered an amazing author and look forward to reading more from her.
Lisa E. (Cincinnati, OH)

The Writing Life
I loved this book! Jincy Willett's Amy is a writer of short stories who had not published in years, and she is both endearing and infuriating. This novel discusses her truly funny adventures in the new world of blogging, NPR talk shows, and author promotion.
Mary R. (San Jose, CA)

Amy Falls Down and Finally Gets Up
The dead-pan hilarity of everyday quirks and phobias in "Amy Falls Down" is reminiscent of David Sedaris. There is a bit of Amy in all of us, which is exactly what makes this book so hard to put down. We see ourselves mirrored back – all of our insecurities, fears, tragedies, and obsessions. But they become morphed into something less sinister, something that can be examined, embraced and finally released. This book is a reminder that we are all amazing, in spite of ourselves.
Lori L. (La Porte, IN)

"Compelling"
Amy Gallup is a reclusive curmudgeon of a former writer who now makes her living teaching on-line writing classes and very much enjoys her solitary life. When she falls and hits her head on the birdbath in her yard, as they say, "hi-jinx ensue". In the aftermath of the fall, a likely concussed Amy gives an interview that thrusts her into the world of Internet celebrity, to both her horror and amusement. This book is funny, yet poignant, as Amy realizes that she does in fact wish to know and be known. For lovers of reading and writing, social satire and wicked wordplay.
Power Reviewer Priscilla M. (Houston, TX)

Great Fun to Read!
It started with an accidental fall that may or may not have caused a minor concussion. What it did cause was a lifestyle change. Amy is a grumpy curmudgeon, a writer who now makes a living teaching online writing classes. The fall puts into action a change of events that move her from the life of a semi-recluse into a whirlwind of public appearances and a steady stream of new stories. The writing is crisp, brisk, and unfailingly funny. Amy's adventures are told with sardonic humor and a wonderful understanding of human nature. I had a great time reading this and plan to read the first book by this author to learn more about Amy and the world she lives in.

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

Seven Days of Us
    by Francesca Hornak

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F