Reader reviews and comments on The Other Typist, plus links to write your own review.

The Other Typist

Amy Reading

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Other Typist

CarolK

160 Words A Minute!
An all out character driven novel with a slow building plot with quite an ending. My kind of book! and should make a great book discussion.

Rindell fleshes out her character(s) quite well, with excellent narration, reliable or not, by Rose, the original typist. Rose Baker, clicks away her days in a New York police department back in the days of prohibition and the speakeasies. Rose is quite the formal young woman and takes her job quite seriously, making few mistakes and not tolerating any from others. She's a bit stodgy to say the least and at first I liked her but after a bit, I thought, oh drat, I could never live up to her expectations and would I want too. Still all seems to be going well when enters the other typist, Odalie. Odalie seems to be all Rose is not, flamboyant, a bit crass, and not the greatest of typists. You guessed it; Rose becomes infatuated with Odalie and soon they are the best of friends. You definitely want to see how this relationship pans out.

An excellent psychological study of morals and more; The Other Typist is spooled out like the ribbon of a typewriter to its very end. Suddenly there is no more. Find someone who has read it to compare notes. I know I will!
Lois B

You think you know, but do you?
This was a character driven slow unwrapping of a story with a WTH? ending. We follow the story a two women characters whose lives become entwined so much so that by the last sentence you wondering if you knew what you thought you knew. This is different and that is what made it enjoyable.
Diane S.

The Other Typist
I am not quite sure why but I seem to have read a few novels lately that have a naive young woman and another manipulative one. This one is very well written, a psychological tour de force, with an unreliable narrator and different revelations that keep you guessing. It is hard to tell for much of the book, how much of the truth is being told. Odalie is a prime piece of work, but although some things are not as they appear, some are and it is very hard to tell which is which and what is what. So if you like psychologically twist novels, this is one which begs the question, is evil contagious?

Southernmost
    by Silas House
    Southernmost opens with a devastating flood in Cumberland Valley, Tennessee. Could it be divine ...
  • Book Jacket: Fake Like Me
    Fake Like Me
    by Barbara Bourland
    After years of trying to make it as a painter in New York City, the unnamed narrator of Fake Like Me...
  • Book Jacket: Hungry
    Hungry
    by Jeff Gordinier
    Noma, René Redzepi's restaurant in Copenhagen, Denmark, has widely been considered among the ...
  • Book Jacket: With the Fire on High
    With the Fire on High
    by Elizabeth Acevedo
    From Like Water for Chocolate to Ratatouille, writers have recognized the power ...

The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt
    by Andrea Bobotis

A thoughtful and quintessentially Southern debut that unfolds like a magnolia.

Beirut Hellfire Society
    by Rawi Hage

A searing and visionary novel set in 1970s Beirut that asks what it means to live through war.

Book Club
The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense…"
Entertainment Weekly

Win In the Full Light of the Sun

New from Clare Clark!

"Evocative prose and excellent pacing make this fine historical a must-read for art history buffs."
- Publishers Weekly