Reader reviews and comments on The Laws of Gravity, plus links to write your own review.

by Liz Rosenberg

May 2013, 298 pages
    May 2013, 298 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for The Laws of Gravity

Diana J. (Highland Falls, NY) (04/09/13)

The Laws of Gravity
I loved this book. It is a study in ethics versus law in the case of Nicole, who is very ill, and her cousin, almost like a brother, Art, who has the means to possibly change her life.
You watch as the family units both draw close, then start to unravel as the situation intensifies.
Each of us, as we read the book, will make judgments about what we do if we were Nicole or Art...but the bottom line is that they both did what they felt they had to do to protect their family.
Highly recommend this book. Will be a great book for book club discussions.
Cynthia C. (Peekskill, NY) (04/08/13)

Heart-wrenching read
This was a beautifully written and incredibly sad novel that was thought-provoking & would be a perfect novel for book clubs. The strong story line & well-developed characters made it a book that I read almost at one sitting.

My only minor quibble would be that I would have liked to have a bit more background about what transpired between Ari & Nicole, after their close relationship as children, and when they became adults. I thought there must have been more to their story that would have caused him to react as he did.

Overall, a winning & insightful book - just make sure you have a box of tissues handy. You'll need them.
Linda D. (Williamsburg, VA) (04/06/13)

Don't Miss It!
I am drawn to books about complex social issues especially those that impact families. Characters that are real, who are developed well enough so that I can feel their emotions and a strong story line make a book exceptional for me. This book had all of this and more. It is not a happily ever after story bur it is a book that I did not want to put down and was which evoked a depth of emotions that took me by surprise. The book is thought provoking and would provide an excellent springboard for book clubs that want an entertaining book with substance. The story reminded me of a Jodi Picoult book and I highly recommend it to her fans.
Power Reviewer Donna W. (Wauwatosa, WI) (04/05/13)

The Laws of Gravity
A beautiful story full of the joys, disappointments, and love that go into being a family. The characters are set up well, each is real and the author makes us care about them all.
Ari and Nicole are cousins, and best friends since childhood. When Nicole becomes ill she asks Ari a life-altering question and it is this question and the after effects his answer causes that make up the heart of the story.
While there is sadness in the story it is not the main tone. This is truly a beautiful story about family. It would be a good book for a book club to read, as it is bound to lead to a lot of discussion.
Power Reviewer Bobbie D. (Boca Raton, FL) (04/04/13)

Broken Families
Laws of Gravity is spellbinding. We meet two families in New York, the Greene's and the Wiesenthals, who are related, and who have formed bonds of love and friendship for two generations. A medical-legal problem threatens those bonds. A soon to be retired judge, Solomon Richter and his family form a sub-story with his family, an adoption and a rabbi. (Naming the judge Solomon has it's own meaning).
All the characters are very strongly developed and we laugh and cry with them. We "pray" for a "They lived happily ever after". This is a really good read and I couldn't put it down.
Jan M. (Broken Arrow, OK) (04/02/13)

Sad by satisfactory ending
This was a book about love and courage. The characters were all admirable and well described. I was sorry the story could not have a happy ending, but was very impressed at the way it was done. There was so much love surrounding Nicole as she took her last breaths, it made me happy that her loved ones could do that for her. The writer was able to put me into that room to see her last wishes carried out.
I admired her courage, and that of those who loved her. A sad ending, but very well done.
Power Reviewer Colleen L. (Casco, ME) (03/30/13)

What would you do???
I would mark this book higher if I could. Yes, this book is a real tear jerker but it has an important message. Cord blood is a new, technological advance that many of us are just becoming aware of. What do you do if someone in your family could be saved by it and yet the intent was to save it for your own immediate family....as a just in case?

The story is about Nicole who contracts leukemia and lymphoma. Her only chance at life is cord blood that was saved from her cousin's child during birth. To share the blood, however, means that should her cousin's family need it in the future, it will not be available. She and her cousin were exceptionally close as children. As they have gotten older, their families have remained close. The cord blood, though, proves to be a crisis. The lawsuit that ensues is a real heartbreaker.

For those readers who love Jodi Picoult, you will love this story. It is relevant, thought provoking and heart rendering. Be prepared to sit down and read in one sitting because once you start, you will not want to stop till you get to the bitter end.

Ms Rosenberg has done a great job with character development. You come to know and love and DESPISE (ARI) these characters as if they were living, breathing individuals. I love books that have complex, family situations and this one definitely fits the bill in spades. The book will touch your heart.

I recommend you run...not walk...to the nearest bookstore to purchase this book.

Sources for Stem Cells

Do No Harm
    by Henry Marsh
    British neurosurgeon Henry Marsh might already be familiar as the subject of the Emmy-winning ...
  • Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...

The Life of the World to Come
    by Dan Cluchey

Smart, sad and crackling with wit, a book about love, life and what happens after.

A Certain Age
    by Beatriz Williams

The Roaring Twenties comes to life in this tale of intrigue, romance, and scandal.

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q