MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Gulp, plus links to write your own review.

Adventures on the Alimentary Canal

by Mary Roach

Apr 2013, 336 pages
    Apr 2014, 352 pages

Elizabeth Whitmore Funk

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Gulp

Patrick Kraft (06/05/16)

small laugh
I tend not to be a fan of non fiction books, but I had to read one for an English project. Then I'm in a book club and our club adviser recommended Gulp, and I ended up loving it. 10 out of 5 in my book. (puns) :)
Power Reviewer Becky H (06/08/13)

GULP by Mary Roach
I always learn something when I read one of Roach’s books. And I usually am laughing when I learn it! Roach has a great (some would say twisted) sense of humor (don’t overlook the footnotes!) that enlivens a book that could be deadly dull. Never fear, Roach will entertain you even while discussing feces and other products of the human body.
Gulp takes the subject of food and its ability to pass through the body while giving nourishment and pleasure to the human (and seventh grade boys a scintillating topic of conversation) and delves into the most intimate phases of digestion and excretion. She finds unique and interesting studies (both legitimately scientific and the just bizarre) and explains what was learned in a way understandable to laymen.
One thing I learned is that 90 percent of taste is actually smell, so the alimentary canal begins with the nose and ends with the anus (another smell!) Sorry, I couldn’t help it – that is what reading a Mary Roach book will do to you. Enjoy!
Power Reviewer Diane S. (03/29/13)

Gulp
Entertaining science, wish she had been my chemistry teacher in High School instead of the monosyllabic Mr. Worth, who I unfortunately had. Some of this is boring for sure, but some is just fascinating, some is oh so gross, but some is interesting and humorous to boot. Did you know they actually have a poop website? Who knew. There is also a section in this book about pet food tasters for all the pet lovers out there. Amusing informative and gross how can one lose? ARC from publisher.

Popular Science Journalism