Reader reviews and comments on Wave, plus links to write your own review.

Wave by Sonali Deraniyagala

Mar 2013, 240 pages
    Jan 2014, 240 pages

Jo Perry

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Wave

Rachel Rivers Porter (02/13/17)

Wave,by Sonali Deraniyagala 5 stars
An extremely moving book written by Sonali who lost her husband and sons in the Boxing Day tsunami. The suddenness of the disaster and the horror of losing her family is described in raw emotion. As Sonali was faced with a numb new reality, traumatic flashbacks are very well described. This is a sad, yet gripping story of a true life tragedy and learning to live again.
Power Reviewer Louise J (03/07/13)

Not What I Expected!
I’m finding it a bit difficult to write this review as on the one hand the story itself was a huge letdown and not at all what I expected for all the hype I’d heard. On the other hand, it was an amazing novel of the telling of immense grief Sonali went through in coping to learn to live without her entire family.

I expected the story to be more of a telling of not only her own family and the tragedy she faced in losing everyone but also I expected some other stories of other people she met along with way and what their stories entailed in this unbelievably sad day in the life of so, so many people. I found the book to be quite repetitive in a lot of places and kept waiting for something “new” which never really materialized.

It is said that some 226,000 people lost their lives that day and that is a staggering number for sure. I couldn’t even begin to imagine what it would be like to lose my husband, my children, my parents, and my friends all within the blink of an eye and how finding your way back from that would feel like. Survivor’s guilt for sure enters into this tragedy and one wonders how anyone could have survived what Sonali did that particular day.

However, I just felt the story was lacking ‘something’, I expected more substance and although I understand it is a “memoir”, I still expected to hear more details, figures, numbers, and stories of other people she encountered on her journey to redemption and acceptance. I just felt the book didn’t live up to the hype and I’ve not totally convinced myself that I would bother recommending this to other people, at least not without a warning that it wasn’t what I had expected from this much talked about memoir.

• Book Jacket: The Islamic Enlightenment

by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R