Reader reviews and comments on Bone River, plus links to write your own review.

by Megan Chance

• Paperback:
    Dec 2012, 395 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for Bone River

Joanne V. (Towanda, PA) (11/16/12)

An Excellent Read
I really liked this book! The characters were well drawn and I could feel the atmosphere, the cold and wet and the struggles of Leonie. Even though I sort of figured out the ending, the author really made it even more compelling in the way she tied it together. I would definitely recommend this book and it would be a really interesting book group discussion.
Mary D. (New johnsonville, Tn) (11/12/12)

True escape
Thanks for this opportunity to give my first impression. I always read to escape. My work has enough realism. I love to read a book and forget everything around me. I couldn't wait to get back to reading each time my responsibilities made me stop. There was just the right mix of suspense, romance and history. I look forward to reading more novels by Megan Chance. Sometimes I find myself rushing the ending of a book in order to get to the next one. I always want to be in a story not ending one. That was not possible with this novel. I didn't want to miss anything. Great read.
Joyce S. (Tyrone, GA) (11/12/12)

A Woman's Strange Journey
A very engrossing story. I liked Leonie Russell from beginning to end and cheered her struggle to be herself and think for herself against the wishes of both her father and her husband. An inherently kind and thoughtful person it isn't always easy for her to make waves but she learns to seek her own life and happiness. Enough surprises to keep you really interested.
Betty B. (Irving, TX) (11/11/12)

One of My Favorite Books This Year
Once I began the prologue, I was hooked. I read page after page, and hated when I had to put it down. And then as I neared the end I felt like I didn't want it to end. In my opinion, that's a really good book. The characters are compelling, especially Leonie. The writing is beautiful and atmospheric. Throughout the book I felt as though I was there on the Querquelin River. I found the native American culture interesting and I was sad at how their culture was treated by ethnologists. And I was reminded how hard the life of a woman during this period was.

There are many wonderful themes for discussion, and I can't wait to recommend to my Book Club.
Patricia D. (Woodland Hills, CA) (11/11/12)

Historical Fiction at its best
Here is a story in which you actually lose yourself and become one with the characters. As a reader, I floated around like the spirits Leonie dreamed about and needed to know the secrets kept by the the Leonie's father and her husband Junius. Megan Chance writes with detail and feeling and allows the reader to feel the cold of the storms and waters of the oyster beds. She has researched the time period with great precision and given her character, Leonie, the strength to fight for what she needs and wants as a woman.

This is one of those special books that tells a unique story through mystery and romance by an author who knows how to write and intrigue her readers. This will be one of my favorite books of 2012.
Harriette K. (Weston, FL) (11/10/12)

Bone River
Leoni Russell lives in the Pacific Northwest during the mid-'80's, where she works with her husband as an ethnologist and oysterman. The work is grueling and the weather is punishing. Her father was an ethnologist as well, and, on his deathbed, made her promise to marry his partner, who is 20 years her senior. An Indian, called Uncle Tom, is very much in their lives as well as other local Native Americans. Leoni and her husband, Junius, collect artifacts and fossils from the surrounding area for shiphment to the Smithsonion Museum in Washington. Leoni finds a basket in the river which contains the mummy of a woman who appears to be ancient, and soon after, her husband's estranged son appears. Her dreams, the son's intrusion into her life and the warnings of a Native American woman lead her to question the life she has lead. There is a mystery involved and as the narrative continues, the mystery and the lives involved unravel.
The author brings the narrative to an extremely exciting climax, and in the meantime, she draws her main characters fully.
The story and characters kept me engrossed throughout the story, and the big question involving the moral conflict of using items found in the sacred places of other peoples opposed to using the artifacts for historical research is posed throughout the book.
Darlene C. (Simpsonville, SC) (11/05/12)

Bone River by Megan Chance:
I know I'm in for a good read, when the first time I pick up the book I don't put it down until Chapter 6, the second time took me to 10, then 15, and today I finished it. Do I really need to say I really enjoyed it? Beautifully written, a bit historical, a bit mystery, a bit moral dilemma, and a bit of unexpected hot romance; an original story that's refreshingly unpredictable with surprising twists. Would make a great book club choice.

Ethnology

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review