Reader reviews and comments on The Baker's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Discuss |  Reviews |  Readalikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

The Baker's Daughter

by Sarah McCoy

The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy X
The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy

Aug 2012, 304 pages
    Aug 2012, 304 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for The Baker's Daughter

Miss the characters already.
Sarah McCoy wraps you up with her characters. I bacame enthralled with everyone in this book. Going from present day, to Germany in years past, was fascinating. The parallel stories of the writer, and the baker, kept the story going at a fast pace.
I have read many stories of the Jewish people in Nazi Germany, but hearing a story about a German family, was very different. I highly recommend The Baker's Daughter.

Must Read
One of the best books I have ever read. I recommend this book to everyone who comes into the Library.

The Baker's Daughter Review
If you have the appetite for a bittersweet tale, read Sarah McCoy’s “The Baker’s Daughter.” Not only will it stir your senses, it will stir your heart. The baker’s daughter is Elsie Schmidt. Her life unfolds before our eyes when reporter Reba Adams, interviews Elsie – between tastes of yummy German pastries - for a Christmas story about Elsie’s German Bakery. Through Reba and Elsie's talks and time together we learn about love, loss, pain, and forgiveness. But above all, we learn about tolerance and the courage to stand up for what's right, no matter what the circumstances. I enjoyed this book very much and I know you will too.
Becky H

The Baker's Daughter
A "feel good" newspaper feature is the link between the horrors of Germany during WWII and two women with secrets in present day El Paso, Texas. Both women's stories are compelling in themselves and as their lives intersect over the delicacies wrought by one and eaten with gusto by the other, the selfishness, cruelties, pettiness as well as the generosity, kindness, sacrifice they and other displayed are slowly revealed. A great book for discussion. Book groups will find a wealth of "modern" issues to discuss.

A Compelling Tale
Harsh, poignant, and touching, beautifully written, yet haunting. McCoy's novel is compelling and powerful with richly developed characters, especially Elsie.

Difficult keeping track of the characters. Switching from WW2 to present day was very confusing. Could have done without Riva and her life story.

• Book Jacket: Winter