Reader reviews and comments on The End of Your Life Book Club, plus links to write your own review.

The End of Your Life Book Club

Sarah Sacha Dollacker

There are currently 6 reader reviews for The End of Your Life Book Club

Ricardo Scalice

Lição de Vida
Este livro nos motiva a termos esperança, valorizar os livros - cada livro é uma história que deve ser refletida e não apenas descartada - principalmente, nos mostra que cada instante de nossas vidas deve ser valorizado.
Quando estava lendo este livro, minha mulher me perguntou: Por que você lê tantos livros? Porque tenho pressa, a vida é curta - e não querendo ser pessimista - mas tenho histórico de velhice precoce, e por vinte anos ainda estarei lúcido, depois, só o destino dirá.

(This book motivates us to have hope, and appreciate books - each book is a story that should be reflected not just discarded - and mainly shows us that every moment of our lives should be valued.

When I was reading this book, my wife asked me "Why do you read so many books?" Because I must hurry , life is short - and I do not wish to be pessimistic, but have a history of aging early; perhaps in twenty years I'll still be lucid, only time will tell.)
Power Reviewer Louise Jolly

The End of Your Life Book Club - You'll Love It!!
Will Schwalbe has done a remarkable job with this novel, touching on the real feelings and issues surrounding the process of a close family member dying. They way in which this mother and son chose to deal with the heartbreak was truly amazing and worked well. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and will be recommending it to all my family and friends.
Power Reviewer Diane S.

The End of your lilfe book club
A book about a dying woman could be extremely melancholy and I will admit to having teary eyes at various points in this book. Yet, this book is so much more, it is a celebration of a life that was lived well, a life that helped other people, the love of a son for his mother and a love of books, stories and the belief that they can make a huge difference. In this book the author relates exactly how and why books have made such a huge impact on his life, the life of his family and his mother in particular. A celebration of reading and all it entails, how his mother will live on in her love of books and especially in the books that were her favorites and the love of reading she passed on to the rest of her family. A very poignant and heartfelt read.
Power Reviewer Dorothy T.

More than a book about books
“How could anyone who loves books not love a book that is itself so in love with books?” (page 125).

I was intrigued by the title of this book and expected that it would deal with reading and books, and since I love books and reading myself, it seemed to be just the thing for me. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is much more—it is a memoir and tribute to Mary Ann Schwalbe, the author’s mother, who died of pancreatic cancer a few years ago. As well as adding several volumes to my to-read list, I felt my own passions for reading good books renewed. Why should I waste precious time with poorly conceived and executed material? In other words, what would I spend my time reading if I knew that I only had a short time left to read? That is the idea I came away with, and I also grew to respect and admire Mary Ann Schwalbe.

Don’t think that this memoir is sad or maudlin; it is far from it. The author cleverly uses various books to connect with what is happening in his mother’s life, with her relationships with her family and friends, and her battle with cancer. It is thoroughly enjoyable and would be a great selection for book clubs and for people facing cancer or other serious illnesses as patients or those close to them.
Nathalie

Well written and touching
I was not looking forward to reading this book for my own book group: I just lost yet another family member to cancer.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the way it was written. The author has written a beautiful inspiring tribute to his mother. (What an amazing woman!) And yet it's an easy read. I couldn't help running down the list of books at the end to see which I've already read.

I'm off to book group!
JeanT

Disappoining Book Club
I approached this book with much anticipation after having read all the reviews. Perhaps it's just me, but I found the book interesting, but not compelling. I would have hoped for more depth in the discussion of the various books' relevance to the situations in the mother's and son's lives. At times the discussion seemed too brief and superficial to carry much emotion or significance. Overall I was disappointed and probably would not recommend it, even if I did note some of the books I will want to check out for my own future reading.

The Women's Refugee Commission

• Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund