Reader reviews and comments on Code Name Verity, plus links to write your own review.

Code Name Verity

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Code Name Verity

Sandra Hofsommer

Don't Miss This One
"Code Name Verity" introduced me to Elizabeth Wein and
I have read everything she has written. Although listed as a Young Adult author her books easily transfer to adult status. This novel, written in two parts tells the story of a young British woman who volunteers to spy in France but is immediately caught. The story unfolds during her time in a Nazi prison where she is interrogated but manages to lead on her captors. I would say more but that will spoil your reading experience.
Since reading this novel, I have followed Wein's writing and read nearly everYA she has written. If I were still teaching I would definitely include this novel in the reading lists for both my high school classes and even in a number of freshmen and sophomore college lit classes.
Cloggie Downunder

interesting, informative and ultimately, very moving
Code Name Verity is the sixth novel by British author, Elizabeth Wein. It tells the story of a pair of British women who crash-landed in France during World War Two. The first part is narrated by Queenie aka Scottie aka Eva Seiler aka….., a Special Operations Executive agent, and is written under duress at Gestapo HQ in the town of Ormaie in November 1943. SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Amadeus von Linden has forced from Queenie wireless code for the eleven wireless sets found in the wreck of the plane from which she jumped. What then follows, at his command, is Queenie’s account of the course of events that led to their flight to France and incorporates in that her friendship with Maddie Brodatt, the pilot of the downed plane. The second part gives Maddie’s version of events, and reveals that perhaps one of the narrators is not entirely reliable. Wein’s characters are multi-faceted and realistic: they all have their weaknesses and faults; even the evil ones possess a human side; many are not quite what they first seem. The dialogue, too, is credible and the plot is totally plausible, twists, turns and all. Wein’s extensive research is apparent on every page: a wealth of information is secreted in the story in easily digestible form. There is humour, heroism and horror, and enough heartbreak to bring a lump to the throat of even the most cynical reader. This is a tale of friendship and courage that is interesting, informative and ultimately, very moving
Emily

code name verity- code name brilliance
I started reading code name verity and instantly fell in love with it. I couldnt put it down until the very end. The two main characters are very likeable and the book is very easy to understand.
Rose

Code Name Verity
When first I started to reading the book, it wasn't that interesting and I didn't understand the story. But now its kind of interesting. (under 25)

• Book Jacket: Becoming
    Becoming
    by Michelle Obama
    Voted 2019 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

BookBrowse hosted a Book Club ...
  • Book Jacket: Butterfly Yellow
    Butterfly Yellow
    by Thanhha Lai, Daniel Suarez
    Voted 2019 Best Young Adult Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

As readers, many of us hope ...
  • Book Jacket: Olive, Again
    Olive, Again
    by Elizabeth Strout
    Voted 2019 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

It's been a big year for literary ...
  • Book Jacket: Solitary
    Solitary
    by Albert Woodfox
    Voted 2019 Best Debut Author Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

According to statistics from ...

Book Club
Evening in Paradise
by Lucia Berlin

"Berlin's new book is a marvel, filled with deeply touching stories about lives on the fringes."—NPR

Ordinary Girls
    by Jaquira Díaz

Reminiscent of Tara Westover's Educate and Roxane Gay's Hunger--a memoir that reads as electrically as a novel.

Win Butterfly Yellow

BUTTERFLY YELLOW

Winner of the BookBrowse Award for Best Young Adult Novel, and the overall highest rated book of the year!

The Big Holiday Wordplay