What readers think of Code Name Verity, plus links to write your own review.

Code Name Verity

May 2013, 352 pages

Tamara Ellis Smith

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Code Name Verity

karai

heart-wrenching, creative, and a true masterpiece
i finished this book a few days ago, but I cannot stop thinking about it. It is so beautifully crafted; it’s nothing like anything I’ve ever read or seen before. I’d honestly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. the plot-twists are so unexpected, and add so much depth to the story.
Sandra Hofsommer

Don't Miss This One
"Code Name Verity" introduced me to Elizabeth Wein and
I have read everything she has written. Although listed as a Young Adult author her books easily transfer to adult status. This novel, written in two parts tells the story of a young British woman who volunteers to spy in France but is immediately caught. The story unfolds during her time in a Nazi prison where she is interrogated but manages to lead on her captors. I would say more but that will spoil your reading experience.
Since reading this novel, I have followed Wein's writing and read nearly everYA she has written. If I were still teaching I would definitely include this novel in the reading lists for both my high school classes and even in a number of freshmen and sophomore college lit classes.
Cloggie Downunder

interesting, informative and ultimately, very moving
Code Name Verity is the sixth novel by British author, Elizabeth Wein. It tells the story of a pair of British women who crash-landed in France during World War Two. The first part is narrated by Queenie aka Scottie aka Eva Seiler aka….., a Special Operations Executive agent, and is written under duress at Gestapo HQ in the town of Ormaie in November 1943. SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Amadeus von Linden has forced from Queenie wireless code for the eleven wireless sets found in the wreck of the plane from which she jumped. What then follows, at his command, is Queenie’s account of the course of events that led to their flight to France and incorporates in that her friendship with Maddie Brodatt, the pilot of the downed plane. The second part gives Maddie’s version of events, and reveals that perhaps one of the narrators is not entirely reliable. Wein’s characters are multi-faceted and realistic: they all have their weaknesses and faults; even the evil ones possess a human side; many are not quite what they first seem. The dialogue, too, is credible and the plot is totally plausible, twists, turns and all. Wein’s extensive research is apparent on every page: a wealth of information is secreted in the story in easily digestible form. There is humour, heroism and horror, and enough heartbreak to bring a lump to the throat of even the most cynical reader. This is a tale of friendship and courage that is interesting, informative and ultimately, very moving
Emily

code name verity- code name brilliance
I started reading code name verity and instantly fell in love with it. I couldnt put it down until the very end. The two main characters are very likeable and the book is very easy to understand.
Rose

Code Name Verity
When first I started to reading the book, it wasn't that interesting and I didn't understand the story. But now its kind of interesting. (under 25)

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Let's Not Do That Again
    Let's Not Do That Again
    by Grant Ginder
    We have all dealt with inescapable, insufferable family members at some point, and the ones who say ...
  • Book Jacket: Atomic Anna
    Atomic Anna
    by Rachel Barenbaum
    If you had the opportunity to prevent one of the world's most horrific disasters, would you? What if...
  • Book Jacket: The Colony
    The Colony
    by Audrey Magee
    The Colony opens with Mr Lloyd, a London artist, being transported to a Gaeltacht (Irish-speaking) ...
  • Book Jacket: The Return of Faraz Ali
    The Return of Faraz Ali
    by Aamina Ahmad
    In Aamina Ahmad's debut, The Return of Faraz Ali, the eponymous character is a police inspector in ...

Shadows of Berlin
by David R. Gillham
A captivating novel of a Berlin girl on the run from the guilt of her past and the boy from Brooklyn who loves her.

Fly Girl
    by Ann Hood

"Sheer pleasure. A hilarious and often moving look back at...a young woman's coming of age."
    —Dennis Lehane

The Immortal King Rao
    by Vauhini Vara

A resonant debut novel obliterating the boundaries between literary and speculative fiction, the historic and the dystopian.

At times, our own light goes out, and is rekindled by a spark from another person.

T S's T Limit