Reader reviews and comments on Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, plus links to write your own review.

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

A Memoir

by Anna Quindlen

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen X
Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

Apr 2012, 208 pages
    Apr 2013, 224 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

Linda A. (Palo Alto, CA) (04/07/12)

A Book for the Journey
There are many things with which I identify in Quindlen's musings about family, girlfriends, relationships, control, solitude, loss. Some observations are humorous...attributing Kevin Bacon, the good news is that the eyes and the face go at the same time so you can't see how you look. Others more pithy...old is where you haven't gotten yet.

Everyone has a perspective on aging, but I can't help wondering what Quindlen's (not quite 60) will be when she's 75.
Jill S. (Chicago, IL) (04/06/12)

Candid, Insightful and REAL
As a Boomer, reading Anne Quindlen’s book reminds me of curling up on the living room couch with a close friend who really “gets” me and listening to her wry observations on life.

And oh wow, DOES Quindlen ever get it! Her essays are insightful, perceptive, poignant and wise as she addresses so much of our shared Boomer experiences: marriage and kids, the importance of girlfriends, expectations and let-downs, aging and premonitions of mortality. The insights into a unique generation of women who grew up with one set of expectations and then lived through a societal bait-and-switch is often pitch perfect. For those who are not Boomers, the book is an excellent guide to the road ahead.

The Novels of Anna Quindlen

by Louise Erdrich

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

The Story of Arthur Truluv
    by Elizabeth Berg

Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live

E Dog H I D