Reader reviews and comments on The Lifeboat, plus links to write your own review.

The Lifeboat

Lisa Guidarini

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Lifeboat

Dorothy L

A Thoughtful Read
I liked this book. There are many positives. The characters are well drawn and very interesting--especially the protagonist Grace. I did find some parts in the middle sometimes dragged but I found the last part of the story very intriguing and thought provoking. There was an element of Lord of the Flies in this book. It is a book that makes you think and is open to varying points of view and would be good for book clubs. I would definitely recommend it.
Louise J

Captivating!
As a debut novel, this was well-written, well thought out and left you feeling hopeful that you yourself are never put in the same position as these people found themselves. Charlotte Rogan has written a compelling, page-turner that should not be missed.
Diane S.

The Lifeboat
Thirty nine people in one lifeboat adrift for many weeks waiting for rescue, some strong some not. Rogan takes what is a relatively simple plot line and than fills it with moral ambiguities and decisions that keeps the reader wondering what will happen next. Not sure what I think of the main character and narrator Grace, we are filled in on her back story, except to say that I felt she was definitely an opportunist, but above all she is a survivor, not only of the ship sinking and subsequent trial, but in life itself. The language used is insightful and well in keeping in what was going on in the lifeboat. Couldn't help wondering how I would have acted if found in the same situation as these people. This will make an interesting book for discussion groups as there are many different aspects of this novel that can be discussed.
Becky

afloat and drifting
This book held my attention simply because I needed to know who survived and who didn't as well as the back story of Grace Winter. The book is well written with believable characters and a growing sense of the horror of the situation on the lifeboat. Unfortunately many answers are simply missing and the reader is left with as many questions (if not more) at the end as when the book began. As a character study it is excellent, as a mystery there is a definite lack. A book group would find much to discuss as well as to complain about. If your group needs resolution - avoid this book. If your group thrives on speculation - this is the book for you. (This book was provided free by the publisher.)

Castaway Literature

• Book Jacket: Mothers of Sparta
    Mothers of Sparta
    by Dawn Davies
    What it's about:
    The tagline on the back cover of Mothers of Sparta says it all: "Some women...

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck