MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Blue Asylum, plus links to write your own review.

by Kathy Hepinstall

Apr 2012, 288 pages
    Apr 2013, 288 pages

Mark James

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Blue Asylum

vam (07/24/13)

Something is missing
I am still trying to decide why I cannot say this was a great book. It was my type of book (historical novel) and it was an easy read. The Chapters generally are very short. The narrative flows rather well. But with all that said, something was missing. I felt as if I were watching a preview in a movie theatre trying to interest me in reading the real thing.

The book takes place in 1864 during the era of the Civil War but, in my opinion, as I read the book I got confused whether the war was still in process or whether it was over. The setting is an insane asylum in Florida - a beautiful setting but not a nice place to live.

The main character is the wife of a Southern Plantation woman who was committed there because she defied her husband and befriended the slaves. The details of her life on the plantation are rather sketchy. In addition, another inmate at the asylum is a civil war Confederate soldier who has been traumatized by his experiences in the war. He provides the confusing love interest. Then to round out the picture, you have the Dr who is as confused as the inmates and his son who is the most confused of all.

When the real book comes out, let me know. I think am interested in reading it to find out what was left out of the preview.
pbs (10/03/12)

Don't miss reading this book.
An eloquent book about choices we make in life by both men and women and the affects of the Civil War. The setting is beautiful and the characters come alive and will stay with you long after you have closed the book.
Sunny (06/15/12)

Mesmerizing!
One of the best books I have ever read! It is gentle yet powerful, speaking to the heart as well as to the imagination. A tragedy that is lined with hope, and injustices followed by redemption. I loved the character development and the ability to portray the gentleness in some of the most volatile characters. An excellent, outstanding book. I will definitely follow up and read other books by this same author.
Diane S. (04/28/12)

Blue Asylum
Set during the civil war, the wife of a slave owning plantation, is sentenced to the lunatic asylum on Sibella Island. There she meets many different characters, some sane some not, and Ambrose who is scarred by his own actions in the war. This novel is a quiet novel, almost ethereal in tone, because the reader learns what sent these people here in flashback and conversations from the characters instead of directly from the acts. Loved the doctor's son, a young boy who fears he himself in insane. The descriptions of the water, sea life and the island are beautifully rendered. As for the name Blue in the title, it does have meaning but you will have to read the book to find out what it is.

A History of Sanibel Island

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun