What readers think of The Law of Similars, plus links to write your own review.

The Law of Similars

Mar 2000, 255 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Law of Similars

techeditor

Unputdownable
Five stars again for Chris Bohjalian. I have read nearly all his books, and most are five-star, some four. This one, THE LAW OF SIMILARS, is a book he wrote nearly 20 years ago.

Leland is a deputy state prosecutor. He is also a widower with a four-year-old daughter. For what appears to me to be psychological reasons, he develops a sore throat that just won’t go away. This leads him to Carissa, a homeopath.

In short order (ridiculously short order, in my opinion), Leland falls in love with Carissa (or maybe mistakes sexual attraction for love). He is so overwhelmed by this love (attraction) that he ignores all ethics of his profession when she is investigated for the murder of one of her other patients.

For a book to merit five stars, it must be unputdownable, and this one is. Even though I say that Leland doesn’t think with his brain, it’s still a darn good read.
Cindylou

Try This....
You wish the characters in this novel lived next door. They are open and easy to know.
You'll experience their highs and lows -- and wonder if you'd have made the same decisions.
The love story gets a bit too erotic for a bit, but over all the book is a wonderfully unique story.

Linda
I was never convinced that this story was being told from the point of view of a fourteen year old girl. Her vocabulary was so preppy that it made it even more ridiculous to try and believe she was a child of hippy parents. How many fourteen year olds do things "on a lark" or see themselves as "aspiring tarts". The most difficult part to swallow was that this ex-hippy Sybil Danforth, a woman who is devoted to a natural, alternative, New Age sort of life, stocks her pantry with diet soft drinks, packaged cereals and eats hamburger! Chris Bohjalian really didn't do his homework here. He also neglected to really develop the characters. They never came to life for me. This could have been a great book. The moral dilemma had the potential to be riveting. If only it had been done by a better writer.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Paradise, Nevada
    Paradise, Nevada
    by Dario Diofebi
    In Dario Diofebi's novel Paradise, Nevada, the neon allure of Las Vegas is pulled back to reveal ...
  • Book Jacket: Things We Lost to the Water
    Things We Lost to the Water
    by Eric Nguyen
    Spanning over 30 years, Eric Nguyen's debut novel Things We Lost to the Water is epic in scope but ...
  • Book Jacket: The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    by Dawnie Walton
    Within the general arc of many well-established and chronicled historical events is oral history's ...
  • Book Jacket: Monkey Boy
    Monkey Boy
    by Francisco Goldman
    Francisco Goldman's Monkey Boy exists in the liminal space between memoir and fiction. Like Goldman ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

Morningside Heights
    by Joshua Henkin

A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Win This Book!
Win Together We Will Go

Together We Will Go
by J. Michael Straczynski

A novel as much about the will to live as the choice to end it.

C T T Chase