Reader reviews and comments on Three Weeks in December, plus links to write your own review.

by Audrey Schulman

Three Weeks in December by Audrey Schulman

• Paperback:
    Jan 2012, 353 pages

There are currently 27 reader reviews for Three Weeks in December

Jeanine L. (Wasilla, AK)

Three Weeks in December - Couldn't Put It Down
When first reading the description of this book I was a little leery. However, it took very little time and I was completely wrapped up in it. I hardly put it down. My husband, who doesn't often read fiction, read it too and has high praise for it. I learned about so many diverse things and, in the process, was royally entertained. The author's writing is very smooth. You are THERE when you read this. The transitions between 1899 and 2000 are so artfully done the reader hardly notices it. Author Schulman states she read over 70 books in addition to having spent time in Africa, before writing this. That comes through. To tie so much information into a fascinating story is really the gift.
Mary R. (San Jose, CA)

A Book To Savor
This is a book to savor. Read it slowly because the words transform themselves into poetic images of Africa. Schulman weaves back and forth between the stories of two emotionally challenged people: Jeremy, who is struggling with being gay in the nineteenth century and Max, who is coping with Asperger’s. It is a beautiful, beautiful book – one that you finish and immediately want to read again. As you read, look for clues as to what makes these to seemingly disparate stories connected – the truth will surprise you.
Jill S. (Eagle, ID)

Three Weeks in December
This is a great book, and Schulman has done a wonderful job in weaving together two stories separated by more than 100 years. Throughout the story, I was wondering how these two stories would come together. What a surprise! Although there are a few items that won't appeal to all readers, don't let this deter you. This book has so many themes going on, and would be a great recommendation for any book club.
Hydee F. (Salt Lake City, Utah)

Memorable
I loved this book, and could not put it down. When I was taken away from reading it, I found myself thinking about it and the characters therein. The emotions stirred by this book are rare, and I am eager to now read other books by the author. Nothing about this book was contrite, when it so easily could have been. While I found the story of Jeremy to be more interesting, I know I will be more challenged to stop my thoughts from drifting to Max and the mountain gorillas for some time. This book is truly memorable.
Jennifer P. (Hugo, MN)

PERFECT for book clubs!
This book is so interesting with so many layers. First, there are two completely different stories going on, 101 years apart, so in the back of my mind the entire time reading it was, "How are these connected?" The answer to that was a GREAT surprise! At the same time, each story progressed with an impending sense of dread worthy of Bram Stoker - and each ending was very satisfying. Beyond the stories themselves, some fascinating, and slightly disturbing (and perhaps even controversial) themes were developed, and because of these, this book would open up so much discussion, it is a must-have for any book discussion group. I highly recommend "Three Weeks in December" for any individual or group interested in current events as well as history in Africa.
Darlene C. (Simpsonville, SC)

Three Weeks in December
I enjoyed this book immensely! An original plot, produces two alternating tales, either of which would have made an excellent book in their own right. The two storylines make it a perfect book to compare/contrast in a book club discussion. Not a book I would have picked up on my own, which would have been my great loss. Enjoy. D.
Elise B. (Macedonia, OH)

Excellent Book!
I really enjoyed this book, and would recommend it to any reader who enjoys reading adventurous books. The two main characters in the book are misfits in mainstream society who develop a love for Africa despite all the mosquitoes, wild animals, and other things many would not find agreeable! There are many topics that would definitely appeal to most book clubs.
Catharine L. (Petoskey,

Highly Recommend
The book follows two characters over a three week period in Africa. In 1899, Jeremy, a young engineer from Maine with a "shameful" secret is sent to British East Africa to build a railroad with hundreds of Indian laborers. Besides the malaria and primitive working conditions, he must hunt and kill the two lions killing his men.
In 2000, Max a brillant botanist with Aspergers travels to to Rwanda to find a plant that could save many lives. She shadows a family of gorillas who hopefully will lead her to it. Both characters are misfits in their worlds; both have challenges - Jeremy the lions, Max, the Kutus (boy soldiers). The stories never intersect except at one small point which ties everything together. There's lots of interesting information and lots of suspense. Couldn't put it down.

Mountain Gorillas of Africa

by Kate Moore

Win News of the World

The Weight of Ink
    by Rachel Kadish

An intellectual, suspenseful, and entertaining page-turner.

T's S I Numbers