Reader reviews and comments on Three Weeks in December, plus links to write your own review.

by Audrey Schulman

Three Weeks in December by Audrey Schulman X
Three Weeks in December by Audrey Schulman

• Paperback:
    Jan 2012, 353 pages

There are currently 27 reader reviews for Three Weeks in December

Jeanine L. (Wasilla, AK)

Three Weeks in December - Couldn't Put It Down
When first reading the description of this book I was a little leery. However, it took very little time and I was completely wrapped up in it. I hardly put it down. My husband, who doesn't often read fiction, read it too and has high praise for it. I learned about so many diverse things and, in the process, was royally entertained. The author's writing is very smooth. You are THERE when you read this. The transitions between 1899 and 2000 are so artfully done the reader hardly notices it. Author Schulman states she read over 70 books in addition to having spent time in Africa, before writing this. That comes through. To tie so much information into a fascinating story is really the gift.
Mary R. (San Jose, CA)

A Book To Savor
This is a book to savor. Read it slowly because the words transform themselves into poetic images of Africa. Schulman weaves back and forth between the stories of two emotionally challenged people: Jeremy, who is struggling with being gay in the nineteenth century and Max, who is coping with Asperger’s. It is a beautiful, beautiful book – one that you finish and immediately want to read again. As you read, look for clues as to what makes these to seemingly disparate stories connected – the truth will surprise you.
Hydee F. (Salt Lake City, Utah)

Memorable
I loved this book, and could not put it down. When I was taken away from reading it, I found myself thinking about it and the characters therein. The emotions stirred by this book are rare, and I am eager to now read other books by the author. Nothing about this book was contrite, when it so easily could have been. While I found the story of Jeremy to be more interesting, I know I will be more challenged to stop my thoughts from drifting to Max and the mountain gorillas for some time. This book is truly memorable.
Jill S. (Eagle, ID)

Three Weeks in December
This is a great book, and Schulman has done a wonderful job in weaving together two stories separated by more than 100 years. Throughout the story, I was wondering how these two stories would come together. What a surprise! Although there are a few items that won't appeal to all readers, don't let this deter you. This book has so many themes going on, and would be a great recommendation for any book club.
Jennifer P. (Hugo, MN)

PERFECT for book clubs!
This book is so interesting with so many layers. First, there are two completely different stories going on, 101 years apart, so in the back of my mind the entire time reading it was, "How are these connected?" The answer to that was a GREAT surprise! At the same time, each story progressed with an impending sense of dread worthy of Bram Stoker - and each ending was very satisfying. Beyond the stories themselves, some fascinating, and slightly disturbing (and perhaps even controversial) themes were developed, and because of these, this book would open up so much discussion, it is a must-have for any book discussion group. I highly recommend "Three Weeks in December" for any individual or group interested in current events as well as history in Africa.
Darlene C. (Simpsonville, SC)

Three Weeks in December
I enjoyed this book immensely! An original plot, produces two alternating tales, either of which would have made an excellent book in their own right. The two storylines make it a perfect book to compare/contrast in a book club discussion. Not a book I would have picked up on my own, which would have been my great loss. Enjoy. D.
Elise B. (Macedonia, OH)

Excellent Book!
I really enjoyed this book, and would recommend it to any reader who enjoys reading adventurous books. The two main characters in the book are misfits in mainstream society who develop a love for Africa despite all the mosquitoes, wild animals, and other things many would not find agreeable! There are many topics that would definitely appeal to most book clubs.
Sarah H. (Arvada, CO)

Thorough and genuine
Often books that were built upon significant research lose authenticity, they become forced, the story a conduit for the facts. That is not the case in Three Weeks in December, where the author has maintained respect for both storytelling and fact building. You learn through vicarious experience of vibrant characters through a story as strong as the data used to create it.

Mountain Gorillas of Africa

• Book Jacket: Trust Exercise
    Trust Exercise
    by Susan Choi
    At face value, Susan Choi's latest release, Trust Exercise, appears to be a familiar story. ...
  • Book Jacket: An American Summer
    An American Summer
    by Alex Kotlowitz
    As a Chicagoan, I've become used to the most common reactions when I'm traveling and tell someone ...
  • Book Jacket: The Sun Is a Compass
    The Sun Is a Compass
    by Caroline Van Hemert
    Caroline Van Hemert fell in love with her future husband, Pat, in 2001, discovering they shared a ...
  • Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...

D-Day Girls
    by Sarah Rose

The dramatic story of the extraordinary women recruited by Britain's elite spy agency to help pave the way for Allied victory.

Courting Mr. Lincoln
    by Louis Bayard

A master storyteller at the height of his powers, delivers a page-turning tale of love, longing, and forbidden possibilities.

Book Club
An American Marriage
by Tayari Jones

A masterpiece of storytelling, and a 2018 Oprah's Book Club Selection.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Women Rowing North

The instant New York Times bestseller

A guide to wisdom, authenticity, and bliss for women as they age.

A B Penny A T U