MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Three Weeks in December, plus links to write your own review.

by Audrey Schulman

Three Weeks in December by Audrey Schulman X
Three Weeks in December by Audrey Schulman

• Paperback:
    Jan 2012, 353 pages

There are currently 27 reader reviews for Three Weeks in December

Jeanine L. (Wasilla, AK)

Three Weeks in December - Couldn't Put It Down
When first reading the description of this book I was a little leery. However, it took very little time and I was completely wrapped up in it. I hardly put it down. My husband, who doesn't often read fiction, read it too and has high praise for it. I learned about so many diverse things and, in the process, was royally entertained. The author's writing is very smooth. You are THERE when you read this. The transitions between 1899 and 2000 are so artfully done the reader hardly notices it. Author Schulman states she read over 70 books in addition to having spent time in Africa, before writing this. That comes through. To tie so much information into a fascinating story is really the gift.
Mary R. (San Jose, CA)

A Book To Savor
This is a book to savor. Read it slowly because the words transform themselves into poetic images of Africa. Schulman weaves back and forth between the stories of two emotionally challenged people: Jeremy, who is struggling with being gay in the nineteenth century and Max, who is coping with Asperger’s. It is a beautiful, beautiful book – one that you finish and immediately want to read again. As you read, look for clues as to what makes these to seemingly disparate stories connected – the truth will surprise you.
Hydee F. (Salt Lake City, Utah)

Memorable
I loved this book, and could not put it down. When I was taken away from reading it, I found myself thinking about it and the characters therein. The emotions stirred by this book are rare, and I am eager to now read other books by the author. Nothing about this book was contrite, when it so easily could have been. While I found the story of Jeremy to be more interesting, I know I will be more challenged to stop my thoughts from drifting to Max and the mountain gorillas for some time. This book is truly memorable.
Jill S. (Eagle, ID)

Three Weeks in December
This is a great book, and Schulman has done a wonderful job in weaving together two stories separated by more than 100 years. Throughout the story, I was wondering how these two stories would come together. What a surprise! Although there are a few items that won't appeal to all readers, don't let this deter you. This book has so many themes going on, and would be a great recommendation for any book club.
Jennifer P. (Hugo, MN)

PERFECT for book clubs!
This book is so interesting with so many layers. First, there are two completely different stories going on, 101 years apart, so in the back of my mind the entire time reading it was, "How are these connected?" The answer to that was a GREAT surprise! At the same time, each story progressed with an impending sense of dread worthy of Bram Stoker - and each ending was very satisfying. Beyond the stories themselves, some fascinating, and slightly disturbing (and perhaps even controversial) themes were developed, and because of these, this book would open up so much discussion, it is a must-have for any book discussion group. I highly recommend "Three Weeks in December" for any individual or group interested in current events as well as history in Africa.
Darlene C. (Simpsonville, SC)

Three Weeks in December
I enjoyed this book immensely! An original plot, produces two alternating tales, either of which would have made an excellent book in their own right. The two storylines make it a perfect book to compare/contrast in a book club discussion. Not a book I would have picked up on my own, which would have been my great loss. Enjoy. D.
Elise B. (Macedonia, OH)

Excellent Book!
I really enjoyed this book, and would recommend it to any reader who enjoys reading adventurous books. The two main characters in the book are misfits in mainstream society who develop a love for Africa despite all the mosquitoes, wild animals, and other things many would not find agreeable! There are many topics that would definitely appeal to most book clubs.
Sarah H. (Arvada, CO)

Thorough and genuine
Often books that were built upon significant research lose authenticity, they become forced, the story a conduit for the facts. That is not the case in Three Weeks in December, where the author has maintained respect for both storytelling and fact building. You learn through vicarious experience of vibrant characters through a story as strong as the data used to create it.

Mountain Gorillas of Africa

• Book Jacket: The Revisioners
    The Revisioners
    by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton
    The chapters of Margaret Wilkerson Sexton's second novel, The Revisioners, alternate between three ...
  • Book Jacket: Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    by Dexter Palmer
    The year is 1726 and the sleepy town of Godalming has been rocked by scandal. Called to the bedside ...
  • Book Jacket: Life Undercover
    Life Undercover
    by Amaryllis Fox
    Life Undercover, a riveting true-adventure memoir, reveals how and why a young woman decides to work...
  • Book Jacket: Celestial Bodies
    Celestial Bodies
    by Jokha Alharthi
    One typically expects to find a detailed family tree adorning the opening pages of, say, an epic ...

The Lost Man
by Jane Harper

"Strong characters, riveting plot and an honest look at life in the Australian outback make it easy to give this 5-stars!"
—BookBrowse

Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan

A true-to-life narrative of one man's remarkable quest to save the Mosul Zoo.

You Were There Too
    by Colleen Oakley

Acclaimed author Colleen Oakley delivers a heart-wrenching and unforgettable love story.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win American Dirt

"A Grapes of Wrath for our times." - Don Winslow

This debut is already being hailed as a new American classic, and is the first book to receive a perfect 5-stars from BookBrowse reviewers!

V I T S Of L