MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Three Weeks in December, plus links to write your own review.

by Audrey Schulman

• Paperback:
    Jan 2012, 353 pages

There are currently 27 reader reviews for Three Weeks in December

Madeline Mora-Summonte (Florida) (12/22/11)

How Did I Miss This Author?!
I don't think I have enough room to say all the good things I want to about this novel! The story is suspenseful and fascinating, with just the right amount/type of facts - no information dumps here. The two main characters are complex and intriguing, and their alternating points of view are equally compelling. The details and descriptions are not lavish and long-winded - they are tight and controlled, rich with power and insight, every sense is utilized. I've already added the author's previous works to my To-Be-Read list.
Elaine G. (West Lafayette, IN) (12/21/11)

Three Weeks in December
Much of the writing in each story was quite good, held your interest and could only happen in Africa. Not consistently so. The sexual content seemed an agenda of the author's. One questioned what was presented and why have it at all. The endings were weak.

This book could be quite fine. The author has great talent and hasn't achieved what it likely eventually will.
Katherine Y. (Albuquerque, NM) (12/20/11)

Best Book I've Read All Year
I've reviewed many books for BookBrowse and this one is by far my favorite. There are two story lines - one takes place in 1900 and the other in 2000, both over the course of just three weeks. The 1900's storyline involves a gay engineer from Maine as he tries to construct a railroad bridge in Africa while his workers are being attacked by lions. The modern storyline is about a woman with Asperger's researching medicinal plants eaten by gorillas in Rwanda. Both stories are fascinating and the author has clearly done a lot of research. Beautiful descriptions of Africa and rich, well-developed characters. This is a book to buy, not just borrow from the library.

Mountain Gorillas of Africa

• Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...
  • Book Jacket: The Association of Small Bombs
    The Association of Small Bombs
    by Karan Mahajan
    The Association of Small Bombs is a fictional story that revolves around an actual 1996 car bombing ...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun