MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Three Weeks in December, plus links to write your own review.

by Audrey Schulman

• Paperback:
    Jan 2012, 353 pages

There are currently 27 reader reviews for Three Weeks in December

Madeline Mora-Summonte (Florida) (12/22/11)

How Did I Miss This Author?!
I don't think I have enough room to say all the good things I want to about this novel! The story is suspenseful and fascinating, with just the right amount/type of facts - no information dumps here. The two main characters are complex and intriguing, and their alternating points of view are equally compelling. The details and descriptions are not lavish and long-winded - they are tight and controlled, rich with power and insight, every sense is utilized. I've already added the author's previous works to my To-Be-Read list.
Elaine G. (West Lafayette, IN) (12/21/11)

Three Weeks in December
Much of the writing in each story was quite good, held your interest and could only happen in Africa. Not consistently so. The sexual content seemed an agenda of the author's. One questioned what was presented and why have it at all. The endings were weak.

This book could be quite fine. The author has great talent and hasn't achieved what it likely eventually will.
Katherine Y. (Albuquerque, NM) (12/20/11)

Best Book I've Read All Year
I've reviewed many books for BookBrowse and this one is by far my favorite. There are two story lines - one takes place in 1900 and the other in 2000, both over the course of just three weeks. The 1900's storyline involves a gay engineer from Maine as he tries to construct a railroad bridge in Africa while his workers are being attacked by lions. The modern storyline is about a woman with Asperger's researching medicinal plants eaten by gorillas in Rwanda. Both stories are fascinating and the author has clearly done a lot of research. Beautiful descriptions of Africa and rich, well-developed characters. This is a book to buy, not just borrow from the library.

Mountain Gorillas of Africa

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T