MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Below Stairs, plus links to write your own review.

Below Stairs

The Classic Kitchen Maid's Memoir That Inspired Upstairs, Downstairs and Downton Abbey

by Margaret Powell

Amy Reading

There is 1 reader review for Below Stairs

Louise J

Simply Charming!
Below Stairs is the true story of Margaret Powell who worked as a kitchen maid – the lowest of the low – in 1920’s England. I appreciated the book for its honesty, directness, and the informative way in which it was written. I also appreciated the integrity with which Margaret wrote – she wasn’t backward at coming forward about expressing the anger and contempt she felt for some of those she worked for.

Overall I found Below Stairs to be a funny, honest, and charming read.

Margaret was born in 1907 in Hove and died in 1984 at the age of 77.

• Book Jacket: Between Two Fires
    Between Two Fires
    by Joshua Yaffa
    It was thought by many that the fall of the Soviet Union would transform Russia from a totalitarian ...
  • Book Jacket: This Is Happiness
    This Is Happiness
    by Niall Williams
    Niall Williams's This Is Happiness offers an extraordinary portrait of a particular moment in the ...
  • Book Jacket: In the Dream House
    In the Dream House
    by Carmen Maria Machado
    In the introduction to In the Dream House, Carmen Maria Machado (a National Book Award finalist for ...
  • Book Jacket: Father of Lions
    Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan
    Our readers have given high marks to Father of Lions by Louise Callaghan. Out of 21 reviewers, 18 ...

Cartier's Hope
    by M. J. Rose

A Gilded Age gem of ambition & betrayal from the author of New York Times bestseller, Tiffany Blues.

Small Days and Nights
    by Tishani Doshi

A captivating and clear-eyed story of two sisters, set against the backdrop of modern India.

The Lost Man
by Jane Harper

"Strong characters, riveting plot and an honest look at life in the Australian outback make it easy to give this 5-stars!"
—BookBrowse

Win The Adventurer's Son

Publishing Soon!
The Adventurer's Son

"A brave and marvelous book. A page-turner that will rip your heart out."
--Jon Krakauer