What readers think of Across Many Mountains, plus links to write your own review.

A Tibetan Family's Epic Journey from Oppression to Freedom

Oct 2012, 320 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Across Many Mountains

Sandra S. (Kula, HI)

Across Many Mountains
A compelling, personal account of the lives of three generations of Tibetan women. A story of survival, faith, courage, and adaptation.I think this book should appeal to anyone interested in the Tibet/China conflict, Buddhism, and the strength of women. I found Yangzom Brauen's descriptions of her grandmother's Buddhist practices and the Tibetan culture enlightening and often humorous. There is a lot to learn on many levels from this short, clearly written memoir.
Kate S. (arvada, CO)

Across Many Mountains
Not many authors can combine so much history and personal experiences and have them work together. This book does a fine job with both areas. The knowledge I gained about Tibet and the Buddhist religion was an added bonus to gleaming into the lives of these three woman. It was refreshing to read about people who still hold tradition, and "homeland" so dear to their heart. A great read that I will recommend to my book club as well as a handful of friends.
Cynthia S. (Rensselaer, NY)

Across Many Mountains
Three generations of Tibetan women share their lives and culture. Kungsang, Sonam and Yangzom relate their family struggles under the Chinese rule in Tibet. Across Many Mountains is a must read and relates much history of a people who remain true to their identity even in exile.
CodyMarie

A must read for all
I have to say this is a great memoir and can't stop talking about it. The story of each of the three women is so enlightening and inspiring.

The love and determination to not only survive but, to keep familial traditions, religious values, and their heritage alive for other generations is the core. From this core we as readers, learn of the history of Tibet as told from the point of view from a Tibetan Nun before the Chinese overthrew their peaceful existence. Also, the trials of a child growing into adulthood trying to navigate the world while trying to hold onto the old life but forging forward to embrace new societal actions. And the far removed child that has no knowledge of the life of her family except for stories, speaking just enough of a soon to be lost language and observing a dying form of religion.

A wonderful read, I encourage all to read this memoir.
Mary H. (Okemos, MI)

Across Many Mountains by Yangzom Brauen
I, of course, had heard of the Dalai Lama, and have seen posters and bumper stickers that say “Free Tibet”. But I never really knew what it was all about. This book gives a recent history of Tibet through the amazing experiences of three generations of women in a remarkable family. The story of Buddhist nun Kungsang and her family’s escape over the Himalayas is harrowing and moving. I kept looking at the beautiful faces of the book’s subjects on the cover and admiring them for their strength. There will be additional photographs in the finished book which will be a wonderful complement to the story. There is also a great deal about Buddhism in the book, which I found very interesting. This will be a great selection for the International Book Group I lead at our library – there will be lots to discuss.
Susan S. (Lakeville, MA)

It had me at "Hello"!
This book is written by the granddaughter of two amazing Tibetan women. She writes about her grandmother, who is a Tibetan nun, and her mother who struggled through extreme poverty and hardship to survive and educate herself. I was mesmerized by the trek to freedom across the Himalayan mountains during the winter and the deeply spiritual nature of the grandmother and her husband, a Tibetan monk. If you like books about strong, successful women, you will love this as much as I did. I finished it in a marathon reading session.
Donna N. (High Rolls, NM)

Tibetan Odyssey
Across Many Mountains is an exciting and unique story of the cruel subjugation of Tibet by China. Once I opened the book, I couldn't put it down. I would compare it to Elie Wiesel's "Night" - although Ms Brauen does not present any horrifying details, it illustrates the persecution of a people based on their religion, in this case Buddhism. You learn a lot about Buddhism and the way people in an isolated country can live on nothing. There is plenty of adventure and daring.This book should be read by everyone interested in human rights.
Joan C. (Warwick, RI)

Across Many Mountains
This is a wonderful story! This multi-generational Tibetan family encourages the reader to travel vicariously with them as they leave their homeland and experience the inequalities that life brings to displaced individuals. The author offers, not only awareness of the struggles of the Tibetan people, but insight and knowledge into the strength and conviction of their religious beliefs and how these beliefs sustain them.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.25 per month.

• Book Jacket: Iona Iverson's Rules for Commuting
    Iona Iverson's Rules for Commuting
    by Clare Pooley
    For the many years that I've been reading, one realization has always come to mind for me after ...
  • Book Jacket: We Had to Remove This Post
    We Had to Remove This Post
    by Hanna Bervoets
    It's not about money. Kayleigh, the protagonist and narrator of We Had to Remove This Post, a newly ...
  • Book Jacket: River of the Gods
    River of the Gods
    by Candice Millard
    The Nile River has provided vital resources for millennia, serving as a source of water, food and ...
  • Book Jacket: Horse
    Horse
    by Geraldine Brooks
    Geraldine Brooks creates a powerful backstory for 19th-century thoroughbred racehorse Lexington, ...

Hamnet
by Maggie O'Farrell
"Of all the stories...about Shakespeare’s life, [Hamnet] is so gorgeously written that it transports you."
The Boston Globe

Members Recommend

Daughters of the Flower Fragrant Garden
    by Zhuqing Li

A beautifully woven family memoir that coalesces into a vivid history of two very different Chinas.

Jackie & Me
    by Louis Bayard

Master storyteller Louis Bayard delivers a surprising portrait of a young Jackie Kennedy as we've never seen her before.

Win This Book!
Win Where the Crawdads Sing

Win a signed copy of Where the Crawdads Sing

In celebration of the movie release on July 15, we have three signed copies to give away.

T O Thing W H T F I F I