Reader reviews and comments on Jamrach's Menagerie, plus links to write your own review.

Jamrach's Menagerie

by Carol Birch

Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch X
Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch

Jun 2011, 304 pages
    Jun 2012, 304 pages

There are currently 21 reader reviews for Jamrach's Menagerie

Sherrill B. (Columbia City, In.) (02/05/11)

jamrachs menangarie
8 yr old Jaffy is rescued from a Bengal tiger owned by Jamrach. Jaffy is hired to take care of Jamrach's animals and birds, along with another animal handler a boy named Tim. They have many adventures including a sea voyage. The book is full of tension, friendship, sacrifice and survival. I liked it.
Linda W. (Riverview, Florida) (02/05/11)

This is a must read
I love love love this book! I was hooked after the first chapter. This is a must read for everyone.The story of a small boy who is excited about a life of adventure. A journey on the sea! Adventure turns to darkness...
Magaret (Brookfield, VT) (02/04/11)

Jamrach's Menagerie
Told in the first-person, Jaffy Brown's story is of a life filled with wonder, exquisite joy, unbridled excitement, terror, brutal horror, survival, great sadness, love, and acceptance. I found myself totally and unabashedly absorbed in his nineteenth century world.

The teen-aged seafaring Jaffy laments that he will "never be able to describe all this, the way it felt". Not to worry … Carol Birch simply provides the most wonderful imagery you can possibly, well, imagine. Her descriptive narrative is vivid enough to have made my mouth water as an eight year old Jaffy tastes his first raspberry puff, to have made said mouth run dry during his on-sea adventures, and to have tears running down my cheeks when he struggles with the horror of choosing life or death.

I am enthused enough about the writing that I have ordered two earlier titles by Ms. Birch. She's that good.
Eileen B. (East Moriches, NY) (02/03/11)

A Great Suspense Novel
I really enjoyed this historical novel. It was a page turner and there were times that I was at the edge of my seat. There was suspense, terror and the characters felt real to me. The book was beautifully written and I felt that I was right there on the boat with the Jaffy and all of the other bizarre characters. I look forward to reading Ms. Birch's other books.
Steve B. (Spring, TX) (02/03/11)

Thrills & Suspense on Every Page
This book has adventure, excitement, tension and terror on virtually every page. Jamrach's Menagerie is definitely not for the faint of heart. It is extremely well written. I felt like this had the read of an autobiography. The author is that convincing in her portrayal of Jaff's odyssey. I will definitely be watching for other books by Ms. Birch.
I think this book would lead to very interesting book club discussions but I would be careful in recommending it to juveniles.

• Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund