Reader reviews and comments on Turn of Mind, plus links to write your own review.

Turn of Mind

by Alice LaPlante

Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante X
Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante

Jul 2011, 320 pages
    May 2012, 320 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for Turn of Mind

Power Reviewer Suzanne G.

Engaging book
An engaging book! An orthopedic surgeon suffers from Alzheimer’s disease. Her best friend is dead. Did Jennifer commit a crime and murder her? The book searches thoughts and actions of those troubled by dementia and the problems of family members dealing with the disease. Much of the “research” was first hand experience of author LaPlante. A great book. And a wonderful cover!
Power Reviewer Dorothy T.

Engrossing novel
This is a combination of murder mystery and a psychological examination of declining memory due to the ravages of Alzheimer's and its effects on the patient and those around her. The novel is written in an innovative style, partly based on the central character's journal, that lends itself to the suspense and the portrayal of her mental states. I found it hard to put down, and I would definitely recommend it as a book club selection.
Karen R

Hard to put down!
A riveting story of a highly accomplished woman, Dr. Jennifer White, succumbing to the ravages of Alzheimer's Disease. The writing style is original; the story told thru Dr. White's eyes, whose reality changes from day to day, minute to minute. It is a sad story of a woman who keeps a notebook as she progresses in losing her ability to interact properly with the outer world, not recognizing her own children but at other times sharp on events of long ago. Although a work of fiction, this story allows us to peek into the real world of dementia, the brain's deterioration; the frustrations and fears that accompany it. I found myself thinking of my own father who has dementia, wondering if he has the same fractured and frightening thoughts/confusion and will it progress similarly? Remarkable book and hard to put down. The ending just a little bit too tidy for my taste but the book is still well worth the read.
Karen R

Riveting!
Eileen L

What a page turner!
I LOVED this book, and I rarely say that about any book. The plot is intricate and grabs you immediately, the characters are fascinating, and the entire story is flawless in its delivery. I read it in a weekend and have done nothing but recommend it ever since. It is a combination mystery, study of family dynamics and the impact illness can have on those relationships, and a deep exploration of the complexities of friendship. The main character is so clearly depicted I continued to think of her for days after I had finished the book. Amazing read!
Power Reviewer Diane S.

Turn of Mind by Alice Laplante
One can quickly run out of adjectives describing this novel but I will use chilling and heartbreaking. The reader follows Dr. Jennifer White, age 64, former orthopedic surgeon, as she sinks in the grip of dementia. This story is brilliantly related as she lapses in and out of reality, remembers farther and farther back, secrets of the past are revealed as the filters in her mind disintegrate and her mood changes become more pronounced. She is also being investigated for the murder of her best friend by a woman police detective who refuses to give up, believing that if she talks to Jennifer on the right day the truth will be revealed.
Kathleen W. (Appleton, WI)

Turn of Mind
This is one of the best books that I have read in a very long time. The author captures the tragedy of early-onset dementia in a skillfully crafted and very readable format. The characters are memorable and the interplay of their relationships added to the complexity of the book. I will definitely be recommending this book to both of my book clubs.
Dorothy Sheehan, (Hendersonville, NC)

Turn of Mind by Alice Laplante
Laplante's first novel is a brilliant portrayal of a powerful women's journey to oblivion. Loss of control in itself is horrifying. Losing control of your mind is the ultimate nightmare. Through Dr. Jennifer White's often disjointed and poignant journal we travel this journey with her to discover what is true in her world turned topsy-turvy where even memories are suspect.
The characterization is powerful, the writing superb and understated, the narrative haunting. It ranks near the top of my list of most unforgettable books.

• Book Jacket: Future Home of the Living God
    by Alison McGhee

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

Wonder Valley
    by Ivy Pochoda

It is a fact of life that any discourse...will always please if it is five minutes shorter than people expect

E Dog H I D