MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Turn of Mind, plus links to write your own review.

by Alice LaPlante

Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante X
Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante

Jul 2011, 320 pages
    May 2012, 320 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for Turn of Mind

Suzanne G.

Engaging book
An engaging book! An orthopedic surgeon suffers from Alzheimer’s disease. Her best friend is dead. Did Jennifer commit a crime and murder her? The book searches thoughts and actions of those troubled by dementia and the problems of family members dealing with the disease. Much of the “research” was first hand experience of author LaPlante. A great book. And a wonderful cover!
Dorothy T.

Engrossing novel
This is a combination of murder mystery and a psychological examination of declining memory due to the ravages of Alzheimer's and its effects on the patient and those around her. The novel is written in an innovative style, partly based on the central character's journal, that lends itself to the suspense and the portrayal of her mental states. I found it hard to put down, and I would definitely recommend it as a book club selection.
Karen R

Hard to put down!
A riveting story of a highly accomplished woman, Dr. Jennifer White, succumbing to the ravages of Alzheimer's Disease. The writing style is original; the story told thru Dr. White's eyes, whose reality changes from day to day, minute to minute. It is a sad story of a woman who keeps a notebook as she progresses in losing her ability to interact properly with the outer world, not recognizing her own children but at other times sharp on events of long ago. Although a work of fiction, this story allows us to peek into the real world of dementia, the brain's deterioration; the frustrations and fears that accompany it. I found myself thinking of my own father who has dementia, wondering if he has the same fractured and frightening thoughts/confusion and will it progress similarly? Remarkable book and hard to put down. The ending just a little bit too tidy for my taste but the book is still well worth the read.
Karen R

Riveting!
Eileen L

What a page turner!
I LOVED this book, and I rarely say that about any book. The plot is intricate and grabs you immediately, the characters are fascinating, and the entire story is flawless in its delivery. I read it in a weekend and have done nothing but recommend it ever since. It is a combination mystery, study of family dynamics and the impact illness can have on those relationships, and a deep exploration of the complexities of friendship. The main character is so clearly depicted I continued to think of her for days after I had finished the book. Amazing read!
Diane S.

Turn of Mind by Alice Laplante
One can quickly run out of adjectives describing this novel but I will use chilling and heartbreaking. The reader follows Dr. Jennifer White, age 64, former orthopedic surgeon, as she sinks in the grip of dementia. This story is brilliantly related as she lapses in and out of reality, remembers farther and farther back, secrets of the past are revealed as the filters in her mind disintegrate and her mood changes become more pronounced. She is also being investigated for the murder of her best friend by a woman police detective who refuses to give up, believing that if she talks to Jennifer on the right day the truth will be revealed.
Kathleen W. (Appleton, WI)

Turn of Mind
This is one of the best books that I have read in a very long time. The author captures the tragedy of early-onset dementia in a skillfully crafted and very readable format. The characters are memorable and the interplay of their relationships added to the complexity of the book. I will definitely be recommending this book to both of my book clubs.
Debbie M. (grand junction, CO)

Turn of Mind
Turn of Mind is an amazing book. Jennifer White is a doctor who's best friend is dead and Dr. White is the prime suspect. Dr. White has alzheimers and so doesn't know if she killed her friend. Alice LaPlant goes into the mind of someone with alzheimers and shows us the confusion and sadness that goes along with the disease. LaPlant is an excellent author and gives you great insight into the mind of an alzheimers sufferer.

• Book Jacket: This Is Happiness
    This Is Happiness
    by Niall Williams
    Niall Williams's This Is Happiness offers an extraordinary portrait of a particular moment in the ...
  • Book Jacket: In the Dream House
    In the Dream House
    by Carmen Maria Machado
    In the introduction to In the Dream House, Carmen Maria Machado (a National Book Award finalist for ...
  • Book Jacket: Father of Lions
    Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan
    Our readers have given high marks to Father of Lions by Louise Callaghan. Out of 21 reviewers, 18 ...
  • Book Jacket: American Dirt
    American Dirt
    by Jeanine Cummins
    Jeanine Cummins' American Dirt hasn't just been positively reviewed by BookBrowse First Impressions ...

The Lost Man
by Jane Harper

"Strong characters, riveting plot and an honest look at life in the Australian outback make it easy to give this 5-stars!"
—BookBrowse

Remembrance
    by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

American Dirt
    by Jeanine Cummins

A new American classic, and the first book to ever score a perfect 5-stars in BookBrowse's early reader program!

Win The Adventurer's Son

Publishing Soon!
The Adventurer's Son

"A brave and marvelous book. A page-turner that will rip your heart out."
--Jon Krakauer