Reader reviews and comments on Swamplandia!, plus links to write your own review.

Swamplandia!

by Karen Russell

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

Feb 2011, 336 pages
    Jul 2011, 416 pages

Amy Reading

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Swamplandia!

Power Reviewer Kelli Robinson (11/25/14)

Disjointed
I just didn't like it. My boyfriend and I read it together and we both felt a real sense of disappointment. Did we just not "get" the hype? Were we missing something? I felt disjointed most of the time like it was really two novels spliced together - one trying to work its way under the magical realism genre and the other a sort of coming of age humorous one. The result for me was muddled, and maybe I just don't like magical realism or maybe Russell was working just a little too hard at making this a quirky novel. It hit me hardest when I realized what was happening to Ava....and didn't care. Yup, I just didn't care what really happened to any of these characters and, in the end, that's not the way to endear the reader. Oh well.
Beach Reader (01/06/12)

Too much swamp
Aptly named book. Way too much swamp and not enough people. The characters are so slimline drawn that it is hard to connect with them. I was so glad to see the end of the book but sad that I didn't really feel touched by the saga.

The Ten Thousand Islands

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts
    Music of the Ghosts
    by Vaddey Ratner

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

It was one of the worst speeches I ever heard ... when a simple apology was all that was required.

Y S M B, I'll S Y