Reader reviews and comments on Fall of Giants, plus links to write your own review.

Book One of the Century Trilogy

Sarah Sacha Dollacker

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Fall of Giants

Joan (03/18/15)

Fall of Giants
Great review of history. I have read all three of this series and they are so readable you don't want them to end. It is easy to follow all of the families from the five countries through the whole series. I especially liked the last book because I could actually remember the things happening, but it is a great way to learn history. Ken Follett has a way of bringing history to life!
MaryK (06/21/14)

Fall of giants
Thoroughly enjoyable...downloaded Winters of World
MaribethK (10/22/11)

Fall of Giants
Ken Follet is one of my favorite authors - unfortunately I do not think this is one of his best books. I truly enjoy historical novels but I got a bit bogged down with the sometimes tedious sidebars on World War II. The Russian history part was much more interesting and I am not sure why. I know quite a bit about both but I just felt the World War II dragged on and on and sometimes i found myself skipping pages. Since my husband's family is from Buffalo I loved all of those descriptions of many familiar and well loved places and streets.
Gail L. (11/12/10)

Follett Never Disappoints
Ken Follett is my all-time favorite author because of the detailed research and style in which he writes. Fall of Giants was a great book, although not one of my favorites. The characters were interesting and I will definitely be waiting to see how their life experiences unfold in the next novel. However, I got bogged down in the details of World War I and it may be that I'm just not interested in the historical portion concerning the war. The fact that there are 5 families from 5 different countries and backgrounds brings a special flavor and adds dimension to the novel. The way the author compares and contrasts brothers, employer and employee, and diplomats from different countries was most enjoyable. I usually cannot put Follet's books down, but this one was harder for me to get through than others, such as The Pillars of the Earth and Jackdaws (2 of my favorites). He has never written a book that I haven't enjoyed though and I'm looking forward to the next novel in the trilogy.
Power Reviewer Vivian H. (10/29/10)

Not Follett's Best, But Still An Engrossing Tale
"Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End" are among my favorite books of all time. I love Follett's style of writing and his in depth research. While I enjoyed the story told by "Fall of Giants", I did not love any of the characters in the book. For the most part they were too thinly drawn or just plain unlikeable. This is why, to me, the book falls short of Follett's best work.
The sweep of the narrative is extremely ambitious as Follett interweaves characters and the political machinations of the world powers prior to and through World War I from Wales, and London, to Berlin, Petrograd and Moscow, to Washington, DC and Buffalo, New York. From a historical perspective, Follett provides an excellent insight into the motivations of the parties that launched and subsequently entered into WWI. Although I didn't love it, I liked the book and will read the next two books in the trilogy.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts
    Music of the Ghosts
    by Vaddey Ratner

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

Manderley Forever
    by Tatiana de Rosnay

Bestselling author Tatiana de Rosnay pays homage to Daphne du Maurier.

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading, you wish the author that wrote it was a ...

Y S M B, I'll S Y