Reader reviews and comments on Fall of Giants, plus links to write your own review.

Book One of the Century Trilogy

Sarah Sacha Dollacker

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Fall of Giants

Joan

Fall of Giants
Great review of history. I have read all three of this series and they are so readable you don't want them to end. It is easy to follow all of the families from the five countries through the whole series. I especially liked the last book because I could actually remember the things happening, but it is a great way to learn history. Ken Follett has a way of bringing history to life!
MaryK

Fall of giants
Thoroughly enjoyable...downloaded Winters of World
MaribethK

Fall of Giants
Ken Follet is one of my favorite authors - unfortunately I do not think this is one of his best books. I truly enjoy historical novels but I got a bit bogged down with the sometimes tedious sidebars on World War II. The Russian history part was much more interesting and I am not sure why. I know quite a bit about both but I just felt the World War II dragged on and on and sometimes i found myself skipping pages. Since my husband's family is from Buffalo I loved all of those descriptions of many familiar and well loved places and streets.
Gail L.

Follett Never Disappoints
Ken Follett is my all-time favorite author because of the detailed research and style in which he writes. Fall of Giants was a great book, although not one of my favorites. The characters were interesting and I will definitely be waiting to see how their life experiences unfold in the next novel. However, I got bogged down in the details of World War I and it may be that I'm just not interested in the historical portion concerning the war. The fact that there are 5 families from 5 different countries and backgrounds brings a special flavor and adds dimension to the novel. The way the author compares and contrasts brothers, employer and employee, and diplomats from different countries was most enjoyable. I usually cannot put Follet's books down, but this one was harder for me to get through than others, such as The Pillars of the Earth and Jackdaws (2 of my favorites). He has never written a book that I haven't enjoyed though and I'm looking forward to the next novel in the trilogy.
Vivian H.

Not Follett's Best, But Still An Engrossing Tale
"Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End" are among my favorite books of all time. I love Follett's style of writing and his in depth research. While I enjoyed the story told by "Fall of Giants", I did not love any of the characters in the book. For the most part they were too thinly drawn or just plain unlikeable. This is why, to me, the book falls short of Follett's best work.
The sweep of the narrative is extremely ambitious as Follett interweaves characters and the political machinations of the world powers prior to and through World War I from Wales, and London, to Berlin, Petrograd and Moscow, to Washington, DC and Buffalo, New York. From a historical perspective, Follett provides an excellent insight into the motivations of the parties that launched and subsequently entered into WWI. Although I didn't love it, I liked the book and will read the next two books in the trilogy.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Blue Sky Kingdom
    Blue Sky Kingdom
    by Bruce Kirkby
    Who hasn't dreamed of escaping all of the trappings of today's modern life and finding a secluded, ...
  • Book Jacket: My Heart Underwater
    My Heart Underwater
    by Laurel Fantauzzo
    Corazon — Cory — Tagubio is a Filipina-American teenager living with her family in ...
  • Book Jacket: Black Sun
    Black Sun
    by Rebecca Roanhorse
    Reading the first book in a series is always difficult because readers know that, by definition, it ...
  • Book Jacket: Somewhere in the Unknown World
    Somewhere in the Unknown World
    by Kao Kalia Yang
    Resettled refugees are mostly invisible. Their needs are rarely publicized and their struggles are ...

Stories from Suffragette City
    by M.J. Rose & Fiona Davis (editors)

One City.
    One Movement.
    A World of Stories.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win This Book!
Win Jack

Return to Gilead with Jack, the instant New York Times bestseller

Enter to win Marilynne Robinson's latest novel in her classic series.

I G I O Ear A O T O