What readers think of Juliet, plus links to write your own review.

by Anne Fortier

Juliet by Anne Fortier X
Juliet by Anne Fortier

Aug 2010, 464 pages
    Jul 2011, 464 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Juliet

Mary S. (Onley, VA)

Juliet
Juliet will be a great hand-sell for us -- it will appeal to our customers who are looking for romance, adventure, mystery and/or history. It's Shakespeare (with all his drama and intrigue) and Indiana Jones (romance and adventure) all rolled into one enticing summer read. These days it seems many of our customers just want to fall into a good book -- this is just the book.
Norma R. (secaucus, NJ)

Juliet
"Juliet" by Anne Fortier is an enjoyable re-telling of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet"story. Julie Jacobs travels to Italy to solve the mystery of her family history in Siena, Italy. The novel switches between present day and Siena in the 1300's. The story moves along quickly and there are many twists and turns to keep the reader interested. The two stories are told in parallel and both plots dovetail.
Sharon V. (Chicago, IL)

Juliet
Family rivalries, Italian history, love, betrayal and suspense all play a role in this elegantly penned novel based upon Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

Julie, aka Giulietta, travels to Siena, Italy and finds herself embroiled in an age-old feud between two of Sienna's most prominent families. Her search for truth and hidden treasure take her back to the year 1340 AD where the world of medieval legends come alive.

The scenes are rich with Italian flavor although somewhat drawn out and the characters seem pulled from a fairy tale rather than developed from within. All in all, though, a full-bodied tale of which the Bard would be proud.
Jean N. (New Richmond, OH)

Juliet
I wouldn't call this book a literary standout. But, I would say that I thought it had an entertaining, imaginative plot with many surprising twists. The chapters, alternating between the 1300's and the present day, gave an interesting change of pace. I'd classify this as a good book to take on vacation, not to be taken too seriously, but to be enjoyed. I can see this book appealing to older teens as well as adult readers.
Kelly Z. (Belchertown, MA)

Juliet by Anne Fortier
Anne Fortier’s debut novel certainly satisfied this most loyal 'Romeo and Juliet' fan. Captivated before finishing the third chapter, I eagerly and effortlessly followed “Julie” through Siena, Italy, as she searched for clues to her family's legendary secret. I don’t know whether it was the historically accurate facts, pleasantly cunning characters, or richly developed plot, but, I was turning pages into the wee hours of the morning to discover every last piece of this magnificent puzzle. I will never read 'Romeo and Juliet' the same way again.
Joanne H. (Waconia, MN)

Juliet, an alternative origin to the tale of Romeo and Juliet
A good read. The plot is intriguing and quite well developed. The writing is generally good, but not great literature. Characters are fairly well realized and interesting. Setting is nicely described. There is clumsiness with language at times, reading like a trashy romance, and suggestive of an editor who fell short. There is nothing thought provoking in this novel.

If you want an enjoyable beach read, "Juliet" would be a reasonable choice.
Debra V. (Kenosha, WI)

A DaVinci Code type novel
A Da Vinci Code type novel about the star crossed lovers who were the inspiration for Romeo & Juliet. The writing style was good, but the book was too long and some of the characters were unnecessary. It will appeal to the type of book club that reads current best sellers. It was good enough to finish, but not good enough to read again!
Rachel D. (Leominster, MA)

JULIET
This book was a great read. Descriptions of Italy were wonderful and the plot was engrossing. An interesting story about Romeo and Juliet all though it did stretch the imagination.

The Appeal of Doomed Lovers

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: First Person Singular
    First Person Singular
    by Haruki Murakami
    Readers familiar with Haruki Murakami will know that music is often a central theme in his work. The...
  • Book Jacket: Yolk
    Yolk
    by Mary Choi
    Mary H.K. Choi's young adult offering Yolk deftly maintains several plotlines running through the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Blizzard Party
    The Blizzard Party
    by Jack Livings
    It is 1978 and the place is New York City. A massive bacchanalian party is taking place at an Upper ...
  • Book Jacket: The Light of Days
    The Light of Days
    by Judy Batalion
    Renia, Sarah, Zivia, Frumka, Hantze, Tosia, Vladka, Chajka, Gusta, Hela, Bela, Lonka, Tema, Chasia, ...

The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman
    by Julietta Henderson

A charming, uplifting debut about a mother and her 12-year-old son, an aspiring comedian.

Of Women and Salt
    by Gabriela Garcia

A kaleidoscopic portrait of generations of women from a 19th-century Cuban cigar factory to the present day.

Miss Austen
by Gill Hornby
A witty, poignant novel about Cassandra Austen and her famous sister, Jane.

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor

P M Fly