What readers think of Girl, Interrupted, plus links to write your own review.

Girl, Interrupted

Apr 1994, 168 pages

There are currently 43 reader reviews for Girl, Interrupted

Elizabeth S. Fasano

Crisp, Elegant Prose...One of the Main Inspirations For My Own Writing
The book, Girl Interrupted - (to be radically distinguished from the movie based on it) - is one of the most masterful pieces of writing of the 21st Century. The book's clear, crisp, spare prose style is so elegant and masterful that I like to describe it to people as "lyrical prose"...almost poetic. From the day I first read the book, Girl Interrupted, it has been one of the chief influences on my own writing style. (Prior to that, Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar" held this honor alone. Given that "The Bell Jar" won significant literary awards, this should give some idea of the esteem in which I hold Ms. Kaysen's writing.) I have written a book of a similar genre of my own (which I have been editing over the past decade). I believe that I have a talent for writing, and I definitely have a tale that must be told. However, if my finished work shows even a fraction of the immense talent displayed by Susanna Kaysen in "Girl Interrupted", I will be a success.
jay jae

realistic one
It gives me the hint about the different personality disorders and how they behave as they are. As SPED student it makes me aware of it.
Awesome!!!!!
Giselle

I'm fourteen years old and a freshman in high school. I chose to write about this book for a reading journal in my english class. It gave me an insight into the lives of mental patients and made me think about the difference between crazy and sane. Can anyone really define sanity?
Chris

The story gave me an outlet and was so captivating that I could not put the book down and have recommended it to all of my friends. I am still recommending it to people even though I read it about two years ago, when I was 15. Being 17 now I still love to re-read it every once and a while.
Angela

Very accurate portrayal. If you've been there you can relate. If you haven't been in the situation it is very good way to try and undestand.
trappercpt

anyone who is in the world in which she lived in can relate to this book, and people who are not in this world get a look at what it is like, It's an amazing book and I honestly didn't put it down
Hania

i loved it.. very realistic.. and it concerns my field of interest.. psychology/psychiatry.. its a movie and a book i watch/read over and over again.love it
Cathy

This is a fantasitic book...with such in-depth detail about her time spent in the hospital! It made me laugh at times but also feel very sad and shocked by the way she was treated by the people around her who just didnt understand what she was going through.I loved the film and wanted to read the book now i have a much better understanding of what she went through.A definate must for everyone! i am 17 years old!

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    by Dawnie Walton
    Within the general arc of many well-established and chronicled historical events is oral history's ...
  • Book Jacket: Monkey Boy
    Monkey Boy
    by Francisco Goldman
    Francisco Goldman's Monkey Boy exists in the liminal space between memoir and fiction. Like Goldman ...
  • Book Jacket: The Girl in His Shadow
    The Girl in His Shadow
    by Audrey Blake
    The Girl in His Shadow by Audrey Blake is a fast-paced historical novel set in Victorian-era England...
  • Book Jacket: Whereabouts
    Whereabouts
    by Jhumpa Lahiri
    Jhumpa Lahiri's Whereabouts has seen numerous comparisons to Second Place by Rachel Cusk. These two ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

Morningside Heights
    by Joshua Henkin

A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

H I T Best P