Reader reviews and comments on Girl, Interrupted, plus links to write your own review.

Girl, Interrupted

Apr 1994, 168 pages

There are currently 43 reader reviews for Girl, Interrupted

Elizabeth S. Fasano

Crisp, Elegant Prose...One of the Main Inspirations For My Own Writing
The book, Girl Interrupted - (to be radically distinguished from the movie based on it) - is one of the most masterful pieces of writing of the 21st Century. The book's clear, crisp, spare prose style is so elegant and masterful that I like to describe it to people as "lyrical prose"...almost poetic. From the day I first read the book, Girl Interrupted, it has been one of the chief influences on my own writing style. (Prior to that, Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar" held this honor alone. Given that "The Bell Jar" won significant literary awards, this should give some idea of the esteem in which I hold Ms. Kaysen's writing.) I have written a book of a similar genre of my own (which I have been editing over the past decade). I believe that I have a talent for writing, and I definitely have a tale that must be told. However, if my finished work shows even a fraction of the immense talent displayed by Susanna Kaysen in "Girl Interrupted", I will be a success.
jay jae

realistic one
It gives me the hint about the different personality disorders and how they behave as they are. As SPED student it makes me aware of it.
Awesome!!!!!
Giselle

I'm fourteen years old and a freshman in high school. I chose to write about this book for a reading journal in my english class. It gave me an insight into the lives of mental patients and made me think about the difference between crazy and sane. Can anyone really define sanity?
Chris

The story gave me an outlet and was so captivating that I could not put the book down and have recommended it to all of my friends. I am still recommending it to people even though I read it about two years ago, when I was 15. Being 17 now I still love to re-read it every once and a while.
Angela

Very accurate portrayal. If you've been there you can relate. If you haven't been in the situation it is very good way to try and undestand.
trappercpt

anyone who is in the world in which she lived in can relate to this book, and people who are not in this world get a look at what it is like, It's an amazing book and I honestly didn't put it down
Hania

i loved it.. very realistic.. and it concerns my field of interest.. psychology/psychiatry.. its a movie and a book i watch/read over and over again.love it
Cathy

This is a fantasitic book...with such in-depth detail about her time spent in the hospital! It made me laugh at times but also feel very sad and shocked by the way she was treated by the people around her who just didnt understand what she was going through.I loved the film and wanted to read the book now i have a much better understanding of what she went through.A definate must for everyone! i am 17 years old!

Join & Save $10!

Discover books that entertain, engage & enlighten. One-year membership: $29

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Book Collectors
    The Book Collectors
    by Delphine Minoui
    About halfway through The Book Collectors, I was disappointed. I came into the book with a ...
  • Book Jacket: Blue Sky Kingdom
    Blue Sky Kingdom
    by Bruce Kirkby
    Who hasn't dreamed of escaping all of the trappings of today's modern life and finding a secluded, ...
  • Book Jacket: My Heart Underwater
    My Heart Underwater
    by Laurel Fantauzzo
    Corazon — Cory — Tagubio is a Filipina-American teenager living with her family in ...
  • Book Jacket: Black Sun
    Black Sun
    by Rebecca Roanhorse
    Reading the first book in a series is always difficult because readers know that, by definition, it ...

A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi

A powerful portrait of a young Ugandan girl and her family.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win This Book!
Win Jack

Return to Gilead with Jack, the instant New York Times bestseller

Enter to win Marilynne Robinson's latest novel in her classic series.

I G I O Ear A O T O