Reader reviews and comments on Making Toast, plus links to write your own review.

A Family Story

Feb 2011, 128 pages

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Making Toast

Alma

Toching
The book cover says this is a family story; I’d say it’s also a love story. The author talks about his grief, anger and resentment, but I can tell he is talking about joy, family bonds and love to life, too.
I enjoyed this book. I cried, I laughed, I lived it. For me, this is one of those books you don’t want to stop reading, and you don’t want to get to the end (I read it slowly and reread the paragraphs in an effort to make it last).
Thanks to Mr. Rosenblatt for sharing his story.
C H. (Wauwatosa, WI)

Making Toast
A wonderfully written account of how one family handles a very painful event. This is a memoir of parents whose daughter dies leaving behind a husband and three young children. The author and his wife leave behind the life they have to join the lives of their grandchildren taking up all the things that their mother had done from carpooling to playdates to bedtimes rituals. I can think of no more heartwarming relationship than a grandparent and grandchild. Although this relationship is forged through painful conditions, the story is told in such a honest and factual, but warm and loving way that this is a read that you will learn from and remember.
Karen E. (Salt Lake City, UT)

Sweet Surprise
I found this book to be immensely readable and enjoyable. Since it is about the aftermath of the author's daughter's death, that was a bit surprising. Mr Rosenblatt professes to be a man who doesn't believe in God, yet his book points out dozens of God's tender mercies - made possible by the wonderful people who loved and were loved by his daughter. A wonderful memoir to an amazing daughter.
Lois G. (Redding, California)

Best read of the year.
I read a lot of books. I live with books all around me. I love books and I love this book. I opened it as soon as it arrived and had it read within 24 hours. This is without a doubt the best book I have ever read on how to "get on with getting on". Making Toast will make you cry, but in doing so it might make you a better person. Read this book!
Eva R. (Westmont, IL)

Heartbreak with Love
This book was written from the heart and as the reader you feel the emotions and the love. This book touched my heart, deeply. It showed me that there are families that care about each other deeply, especially in times of crisis. It reaffirmed the knowledge that family can actually overcome great obstacles through their love. A great book to share with those you love.
Mary Q. (Greeley, CO)

Making Toast
This is a beautifully written and emotional little memoir. It is comprised of non-sequential short anecdotes which encapsulate the year following the sudden death of the author's thirty-eight-year-old daughter. The author and his wife move into their son-in-law's home to help care for their three young grandchildren. The sparse format of the book precludes deep intimacy with the family, yet I still came away with a sense of knowing and caring about them all, adults and children. I will remember these people and will wish I could know how their lives play out in the years to come (perhaps a sequel?). This is a book I will keep and cherish and one which I'll recommend to friends. It would also make a great book club selection!
Daniel A. (Naugatuck, CT)

Making Toast
I enjoyed reading this memoir very much. It is fast paced and a page-turner. The book is composed of short paragraphs for each idea or story, and there are 118 of them. (yes, I counted.)

Making Toast is not only about the breakfast ritual each morning, but it is also the process that connects every idea together. It is well written.
Marjorie W. (Bonita Springs, FL)

Making Toast
What a heartwarming story! What could be a depressing tale becomes a tribute not only to Amy, but to Harris, Ginny and Roger. I felt the sorrow of all the characters, but I also felt the love that made it all work. This will be a book that I will read more than once and will recommend it to my friends.

Roger Rosenblatt

Let It Bang
    by RJ Young

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance