MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Remarkable Creatures, plus links to write your own review.

Remarkable Creatures

Jennifer G Wilder

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Remarkable Creatures

Sue Riggs

Woman of note
I became entranced with the story of an unknown woman of poor schooling and economic standing who pursued the opportunities of a lifetime. Having read other novels by Tracy Chevalier my initial interest was in her writing/storytelling abilities. I was pulled into the story of Mary Anning. So much goes by us each day without our knowledge. I found the book refreshing and informative.
Suzanne G.

Based on history—
This is a wonderful story taking place on the shores of Lyme England. Elizabeth Philpot and Mary Anning have a love of fossils in early 1800s. A strong bond of friendship develops between the women, although their social circumstances and backgrounds are so dissimilar. This story is based on true happenings. It is very much a recognizable Chevalier-written book— great fiction formed on facts.
Dorothy T.

Tracy Chevalier Comes Through Again
Tracy Chevalier has great ability to use fiction to elaborate on the lives of true characters. From the beginning pages, I was drawn into the lives of Mary Anning and Elizabeth Philpot and learned much about them and their work hunting fossils, in a time and place that the novel brings into focus. The story also has much to say about friendship and personal growth.

Mary Anning's Fossils

• Book Jacket: Crossings
    Crossings
    by Alex Landragin
    Crossings is a beautiful, if slightly messy, time-bending debut. It reads like a vampire novel, sans...
  • Book Jacket: Pew
    Pew
    by Catherine Lacey
    A quote often attributed to Leo Tolstoy states that "All great literature is one of two stories; a ...
  • Book Jacket: Waiting for an Echo
    Waiting for an Echo
    by Christine Montross
    Dr. Christine Montross had been a practicing psychiatrist for nearly a decade when she decided to ...
    The Flight Portfolio
    by Julie Orringer
    At once a sweeping historical narrative, an insightful character study and a tender romance, Julie ...

He Started It
    by Samantha Downing

A new thriller from the twisted mind behind the mega hit My Lovely Wife.

The Woman Before Wallis
    by Bryn Turnbull

The true story of the American divorcée who captured the Prince's heart before Wallis.

Every Bone a Prayer
by Ashley Blooms

The the story of one tough-as-nails girl whose choices are few but whose fight is boundless.

Win Every Bone a Prayer

Every Bone a Prayer by Ashley Blooms

A beautifully honest exploration of healing and of hope.

T Real M