Reader reviews and comments on The Crossing Places, plus links to write your own review.

The Crossing Places

Sep 2010, 288 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for The Crossing Places

Jane D. (Boulder, CO)

The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths
Ruth Galloway is a delightful, human, and quirky character. This is a fun and exciting mystery, while also offering interesting tidbits of archeology, ancient cultures, and Norse mythology. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Betty B. (Irving, TX)

A New Mystery Series
I am a frequent reader of British mysteries and am always on the lookout for a series new to me. I'm so glad to be introduced to Elly Griffiths and The Crossing Places. I was hooked 20 pages in by the main characters... and the locale. And now I am looking forward to seeing the relationships develop and to learn more about the history of this section of England. I would have liked to have had a second map locating Norfolk and the Saltmarsh on a map of England. But all in all a very good read.
Anne M. (Austin, TX)

Mystery on the Flats
Elly Griffiths' new mystery is set on the Norfolk salt marshes in eastern England, and the bleak surroundings match perfectly the desolation felt by the families of two young girls who have gone missing from the area. Ten years pass between the two disappearances, with the same policeman in charge of both cases; however, in the latter case, he is "assisted" by a local archeologist, Ruth Galloway. Ruth's solitary life on the marshes is disrupted in more ways than one by the intrusion of this mystery, and Griffiths does an excellent job of making the reader feel the loneliness of the area and of Ruth herself -- and of the changes that occur to both.
Kay W. (West Hills, CA) avid reader

Elly Griffiths' The Crossing Places
I was hooked from the beginning. Dr. Ruth Galloway's character is finely drawn and someone you can relate to and all the characters are believable and unique at the same time. Bringing the current time and the very distant past together was intriguing. The plot moves without a false step and you enjoy going along for the ride. A wonder read and I look forward to further adventures with Dr. Ruth Galloway.
Carol C. (Troy, NY)

The Crossing Place by Elly Griffiths
I thoroughly enjoyed this English mystery ,set on the east coast of Norfolk. The book is atmospheric without being gloomy, the characters interesting because of their flaws and not the lack thereof. Beneath the mystery plot, the book, as suggested by the title, delves into boundaries: emotional, professional, personal, ethical and, of course, physical. A final plot twist at the end hints at even more upheaval in books to come. I look forward to Ms Griffiths' next book in the series.
Juliet F. (clarendon hills, IL)

Loved it!
What's not to love? Archeology, history, mysticism, mystery, suspense. A likable female lead character, the promise of a series, and a pleasing, low-key humor. Easy read, but with enough meat to be interesting. Thumbs up!
Joyce S. (Dyersburg, TN)

Hard to put down yet comfy read
I will definitely read any future books in this series. The archeological significance of this coastal England setting is key to the identity and presence of the characters involved. Fortyish Ruth, single, reclusive, college professor, is pulled into the investigation of a murder/disappearance of two little girls. Her fusty specialty in ancient bones is no proper preparation for dealing with colleagues and friends who turn out to be different than she thought and her self acknowledged lack of fitness is a serious handicap in some most unpleasant forays into an inhospitable landscape. I liked the character, the plot and the writing style.
Janalee G. (West Palm Beach, FL)

The Crossing Places
Strangely enough, I had ordered this book from the UK before it came up on the review list--a very good read! The mystery itself isn't difficult to sort out--there are a limited number of possible suspects. The beauty of the book comes from the depiction of the landscape, the archaeology, and the characters who react to both. I especially enjoyed the main character--and her changes in respect to her life and the people around her.

• Book Jacket: Timekeepers
  • Book Jacket: Mothers of Sparta
    Mothers of Sparta
    by Dawn Davies
    What it's about:
    The tagline on the back cover of Mothers of Sparta says it all: "Some women...
  • Book Jacket: Fortress America
    Fortress America
    by Elaine Tyler May

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck

Force of Nature
    by Jane Harper

A riveting, tension-driven thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Dry.

Next Year in Havana
    by Chanel Cleeton

a Cuban-American woman travels to Havana, where she finds a family secret hidden since the revolution.

Wherever they burn books, in the end will also burn human beings.

G O T P, B The P, F T P