Reader reviews and comments on My Father's Tears, plus links to write your own review.

My Father's Tears

by John Updike

My Father's Tears by John Updike

Jun 2009, 304 pages
    May 2010, 336 pages

Natasha Vargas-Cooper

There is 1 reader review for My Father's Tears

Cary Branscum (08/08/09)

outta the box; a pre-read review
That's right, haven't read it, going to. Let me tell you why so you will read it too. John Updike inhabits each word he writes, each story, each book. He is without peer in chronicling the American suburban hearts, feelings, dreads, joys, and detail in living a life shaped by the recently deceased modern era. He inhabits each story, and you are with him, and I've traveled all his books. I've sat in car showrooms, boring suburban alcoholic afternoons, crisp moments of lost relationships, exuberance in exploring area forbidden to me, been inside the very human hearts and minds of people waking and living each day. Truly an American experience. Updike traveled, appeared, read from his books to the end of his life. What was it like to live in America? Read My Father's Tears, and enjoy the journey walking next to a true genius, hands clasped behind his back, walking uphill, talking the whole way, speaking these words into existence.

• Book Jacket: The Leavers
    The Leavers
    by Lisa Ko

The day before Deming Guo saw his mother for the last time, she surprised him at school. A navy ...

• Book Jacket: Wonderful Feels Like This
    Wonderful Feels Like This
    by Sara Lovestam
  • Book Jacket: Blue Light Yokohama
    Blue Light Yokohama
    by Nicolas Obregon
    Blue Light Yokohama, Nicolás Obregón's crime fiction debut, takes place in an exotic ...

The Scribe of Siena
    by Melodie Winawer

The Book of Summer
    by Michelle Gable

The bestselling author of The Paris Apartment, Michelle Gable now transports readers to Nantucket.

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R