Reader reviews and comments on Everything Asian, plus links to write your own review.

Everything Asian

Jul 2010, 336 pages

Beth Hemke Shapiro

There is 1 reader review for Everything Asian

Louise J

Beautiful, Gentle & Sweet!!
I loved this story!! Young David Kim immigrates to the United States from Korea in the 1980’s with his mother and sister. Their father has already been in America for the past five years trying to build a business and getting some money behind him before his family re-joined him. He owns a store in New Jersey called “East Meets West” in the Peddlerstown Mall and sells various items such as: kimonos, candles, vases, dragons and other miscellaneous items.

The chapters alternate between stories told by each family member and other people who own stores at the mall. Every character in the story is interesting, and has a convincing story of their own to tell. Mr. Hong and his family become friends with the Kim’s and near the end of the book the Kim’s suffer a tragedy together with the Hong family.

The story is gentle, funny, beautifully written and is about the coming of age story of David who is in between two very different cultures but meets them with both grace and humour.

• Book Jacket: Call Me American
    by Ramie Liddle, Tim Bauerschmidt
    The Last Ballad
    by Wiley Cash

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E