Reader reviews and comments on Everything Asian, plus links to write your own review.

Everything Asian

by Sung J. Woo

Everything Asian by Sung J. Woo

Apr 2009, 336 pages
    Jul 2010, 336 pages

Beth Hemke Shapiro

There is 1 reader review for Everything Asian

Power Reviewer Louise J (04/09/11)

Beautiful, Gentle & Sweet!!
I loved this story!! Young David Kim immigrates to the United States from Korea in the 1980’s with his mother and sister. Their father has already been in America for the past five years trying to build a business and getting some money behind him before his family re-joined him. He owns a store in New Jersey called “East Meets West” in the Peddlerstown Mall and sells various items such as: kimonos, candles, vases, dragons and other miscellaneous items.

The chapters alternate between stories told by each family member and other people who own stores at the mall. Every character in the story is interesting, and has a convincing story of their own to tell. Mr. Hong and his family become friends with the Kim’s and near the end of the book the Kim’s suffer a tragedy together with the Hong family.

The story is gentle, funny, beautifully written and is about the coming of age story of David who is in between two very different cultures but meets them with both grace and humour.

The Summer Before the War
    Tender
    by Belinda McKeon

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering.

K Your F C