Reader reviews and comments on What Was Lost, plus links to write your own review.

What Was Lost

Sarah Sacha Dollacker

There is 1 reader review for What Was Lost

Kim

Well-written debut novel
What was Lost is a very non-standard mystery novel. It’s truly a story in two parts. The first half is a light, enjoyable tale from child’s perspective, reminiscent of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. It’s very well-written, with O’Flynn capturing Kate’s thoughts and actions with dead-on accuracy.

The second half of the novel occurs twenty or so years later, but it’s really not about Kate’s disappearance. The mystery is an excuse for O’Flynn to create detailed character studies of lost, lonely, damaged individuals. This part of the book is also well-written and insightful, but in a completely different way than its first half. In my opinion, this part of the book was far superior to the initial section about Kate; perhaps not as entertaining on some levels, but definitely containing more depth.

My only criticism is that the novel wraps up too neatly. Life is seldom so tidy.

I’m sure that because of the very mixed nature of this novel, its reader reviews will be all over the place. Those looking for a standard mystery should probably pass on this one, as they’re likely to be disappointed. The mystery itself just isn’t that compelling. Those in search of marvelous writing, however, need look no further.

Shopping Malls

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: All the Devils Are Here
    All the Devils Are Here
    by Louise Penny
    In Louise Penny's All the Devils Are Here, the 16th book in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache ...
  • Book Jacket: A Girl is A Body of Water
    A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi
    First Impressions readers were fascinated by A Girl Is a Body of Water, a riveting and nuanced novel...
    Heaven, My Home
    by Attica Locke
    Attica Locke's 2017 novel Bluebird, Bluebird introduced us to Texas Ranger Darren Mathews, who ...
  • Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C