Reader reviews and comments on Finding Nouf, plus links to write your own review.

Finding Nouf

Donna Chavez

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Finding Nouf

Susan Reiners

Way behind the headlines
This book was a shock and an eye-opener. Of course anyone who's been paying attention in the last few decades knows that Saudi Arabia is a "sexist" society. Women can't drive, vote, etc. But the big shock to me was the guilt the detective felt about even thinking of or seeing a (dead) naked woman. The story was pretty good, especially for a first-time author, but the real deal here was the close look at beliefs, customs and lives in this society - and the truly extraordinary lengths some people will go to in order to circumvent the rules. I look forward to reading her next book.
AllanP

Engrossing intro to an unknown land
"Finding Nouf" led me deep into the intricacies of relationship in an Islamic society. The religious police (feared but never seen) and the devout behaviour of the characters puts a new spin for a Westerner on the strict rules that women (and men) must observe in Saudi society. Against this, the need for the protagonists to find the truth provides a powerful demand on the reader's attention. Beautifully written, I appreciate stories, especially mysteries where I learn something about a society as well as whodunit. While I had to put it down several times, sometimes due to the intensity, I always came back as soon as I could. I look forward to more.
Midwest Reader

Page-turning literary mystery!
Exotic locale, a society oppressive to women, a charming investigator, and a great story combine to make this literary mystery too good to be labeled by one genre. It is well-written enough to be literary, yet quite a page-turner, too! I really enjoyed it!
CowardlyLion

Good but not great
The book is unusual (and remarkable) in its portrayal of not just the claustrophobic lives of women, and in many cases, men, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, but also in its suggestions of the tiny revolts and rebellions that will almost certainly lead to the collapse of this oppressive culture in the not too distant future. That note of hope redeems an otherwise somewhat bleak atmosphere.
Very few novels have similar settings and similar perspectives - Reading Lolita in Teheran comes to mind - and more are certainly needed. All credit to the author for boldly going where not many have gone before.
That said, the narrative and the language are nothing to write home about. The author is a competent story-teller, but not a brilliant one. Doubtless her style will mature and evolve with time, and I look forward to reading her future work.

The Bedouin of Saudi Arabia

• Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...
    The Islamic Enlightenment
    by Christopher de Bellaigue
  • Book Jacket: The Spy of Venice
    The Spy of Venice
    by Benet Brandreth
    Benet Brandreth's delightfully diverting historical thriller brings the Bard to vibrant life. ...

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott

A crowning achievement of one of the finest American writers at work today.

Sold on a Monday
    by Kristina McMorris

An unforgettable novel inspired by a stunning piece of history.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter