Reader reviews and comments on The Lazarus Project, plus links to write your own review.

The Lazarus Project

by Aleksandar Hemon

The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Hemon

May 2008, 304 pages
    May 2009, 304 pages

Amy Reading

There is 1 reader review for The Lazarus Project

Power Reviewer Kim (11/10/08)

Not what I expected
I was actually a bit disappointed in this book. I think it’s likely that from the jacket description that I was expecting a historical fiction book that explored the turn-of-the-century life and death of Lazarus Averbuch. It seems as if there’s a really nice skeleton of a tale here that could have been fleshed out. The author instead chose to write mostly about Vladimir Blik, a character much like himself, tying that character’s experiences back to parallel those of Averbuch. Averbuch’s tale isn’t expanded beyond the facts of the case. When one is expecting a certain type of novel but finds that it has morphed into something completely different, it can often lead the reader to feel less than satisfied with the result. The saving grace here is that the writing is absolutely marvelous, if somewhat self-indulgent. I plan to give this book another shot in a year or so, with the properly adjusted expectations.

• Book Jacket: Perfect Little World
    Perfect Little World
    by Kevin Wilson
    It might be the beginning of a tragic story: Izzy Poole falls in love with her mentally unstable ...
  • Book Jacket: Pachinko

A Piece of the World
    by Christina Baker Kline

The Typewriter's Tale
    by Michiel Heyns

A thought-provoking novel on love, art and life fully lived.

It is a fact of life that any discourse...will always please if it is five minutes shorter than people expect

K Your F C