Reader reviews and comments on The Lazarus Project, plus links to write your own review.

The Lazarus Project

by Aleksandar Hemon

The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Hemon

May 2008, 304 pages
    May 2009, 304 pages

Amy Reading

There is 1 reader review for The Lazarus Project

Power Reviewer Kim (11/10/08)

Not what I expected
I was actually a bit disappointed in this book. I think it’s likely that from the jacket description that I was expecting a historical fiction book that explored the turn-of-the-century life and death of Lazarus Averbuch. It seems as if there’s a really nice skeleton of a tale here that could have been fleshed out. The author instead chose to write mostly about Vladimir Blik, a character much like himself, tying that character’s experiences back to parallel those of Averbuch. Averbuch’s tale isn’t expanded beyond the facts of the case. When one is expecting a certain type of novel but finds that it has morphed into something completely different, it can often lead the reader to feel less than satisfied with the result. The saving grace here is that the writing is absolutely marvelous, if somewhat self-indulgent. I plan to give this book another shot in a year or so, with the properly adjusted expectations.

• Book Jacket: Wonderful Feels Like This
    Wonderful Feels Like This
    by Sara Lovestam
  • Book Jacket: Blue Light Yokohama
    Blue Light Yokohama
    by Nicolas Obregon
    Blue Light Yokohama, Nicolás Obregón's crime fiction debut, takes place in an exotic ...
  • Book Jacket: Inferno
    Inferno
    by Steven Hatch
    The word "Ebola" sets off an almost visceral reaction in many of us; we think about the men, women ...

The Book of Summer
    by Michelle Gable

The bestselling author of The Paris Apartment, Michelle Gable now transports readers to Nantucket.

The Scribe of Siena
    by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R