MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The House at Riverton, plus links to write your own review.

The House at Riverton

Donna Chavez

There are currently 21 reader reviews for The House at Riverton

Jossarne

Excellent Read
She does an excellent job of interweaving the story. I love her books!
SAM

The (Re)Birth of a Nation - Sort of
This is a book that explores a world of different things skillfully and enjoyably. It's also a welcome change from the plethora of books that seem to written so copies can be sold to book club members. It actually has some substance.
The setting is English society in transition following WWI. It is altogether possible that England's experiences at the crossroads of the 19th and 20th centuries reflect more intensely and completely changes that western societies underwent. They were in WWI longer than the US. They fought away from home while the French defended their homeland. Following the war, a greater number of the citizenry were inspired to seek change because of what they saw abroad or new opportunities they accrued while so many young men were away from home. Many of the characters are influenced by the liberalism created as a result of the tremendous changes. All this completes the backdrop for the story and the characters.
The characters who inhabit the setting experience many of the same metamorphoses. The story follows generations of a family, their servants, and their friends. It is centered around the family home and land, which has enough history to be another character in the novel. Most of the cast weighs duty against opportunity or responsibility against desire. Some make the selfless choice, some are more self-indulgent. There is remarkable irony in their interactions and almost nothing is "sugarcoated in happy ending", nonetheless the end is very satisfying.
The lord and lady have two sons, who have families. One loses a family, one has two daughters with whom he soldiers on after losing a son in the war. A butler and housekeeper 'parent' the other servants. Among them are a maid and manservant with similar backgrounds who move through the same seas of change as the family. And so on, and so on...
This is an enjoyable book that will be especially pleasing to those who love history, a bit of mystery, the English, and the classic English novel, among others.
Rachael

Amazing
I don't think i have ever been as drawn into a book as i was with The House at Riverton.
at night I found myself thinking about Grace and what she would do next.
Kate Morton is such a brilliant writer she truly does have a gift.
as soon as I finished it I was on the internet ordering Forgotten Garden. I started it two days ago and I've already read 300 pages.
I just cannot put her books down.
I truly love them.
radodd

Blown Away!
I was truly blown away by this author. Morton takes you though the English countryside and inside the main character's head. It's amazing where you find yourself in this book. Each twist is not expected. I didn't see any of it coming, and then at the end, I was blown away! What a payoff! Totally enthralling. I wanted to open it and start all over again.
Diane Woods

Creative endeavor
I enjoyed the world created by Morton's imagination and I am in awe of her creativity. The book has stayed with me and that to me is a sign of a good book. The book is rich in offering insights into the history of the times; I even enjoyed the portrayal of old age in modern times.
Melissa

A story that will stay with you for a long time
The House at Riverton opens with 99 year old Grace Bradley agreeing to meet with a filmmaker who is making a movie about Riverton, the house that Grace was in service with during the First World War, and the suicide of a prominent poet during the summer of 1924. Feeling her life coming to a slow end, Grace begins recording her memories of Riverton for her grandson, so the true story of Robbie Hunter's suicide will finally be told.

It is easy to see why The House at Riverton was a number one bestseller in England. A compelling story rich in historical detail, from the end of the Victorian era, through the challenges of the Great War, to the beginning of the 1920's, when England's class system began to erode, you will be hard pressed to put this book down. Even when you do come to the shattering conclusion, Riverton and Grace Bradley will linger in your memory.
Jean

The House at Riverton
This book painted a picture of a different time and place- with characters so vividly drawn that I had to remind myself this was fiction. The plot intensified as the story unfolded- I haven't read a book like this in years....romance, suspense, a different place and time in history.
Sara

What a great adventure!
What a great book! The author's approach kept you wanting more. I loved all of the twists & turns. I was thinking that how Grace was able to get her doctorate was going to be left unexplained, but then another surprise. Can't wait to read Ms. Morton's next book - maybe a sequel of the next generation?

The British Class System

• Book Jacket: Hamnet
    Hamnet
    by Maggie O'Farrell
    William Shakespeare's name is never used in Hamnet — a conspicuous absence around which Maggie...
  • Book Jacket: After the Last Border
    After the Last Border
    by Jessica Goudeau
    According to the United Nations Refugee Agency, the number of displaced people around the world is ...
  • Book Jacket: Crossings
    Crossings
    by Alex Landragin
    Crossings is a beautiful, if slightly messy, time-bending debut. It reads like a vampire novel, sans...
  • Book Jacket: Pew
    Pew
    by Catherine Lacey
    A quote often attributed to Leo Tolstoy states that "All great literature is one of two stories; a ...

Hieroglyphics
    by Jill McCorkle

A mesmerizing novel about piecing together the hieroglyphics of history and memory.

With or Without You
    by Caroline Leavitt

A moving novel about twists of fate, the shifting terrain of love, and coming into your own.

Every Bone a Prayer
by Ashley Blooms

The the story of one tough-as-nails girl whose choices are few but whose fight is boundless.

Win Every Bone a Prayer

Every Bone a Prayer by Ashley Blooms

A beautifully honest exploration of healing and of hope.

T Real M