Reader reviews and comments on Dutch, plus links to write your own review.

Dutch

A Memoir of Ronald Reagan

by Edmund Morris

Dutch by Edmund Morris

Sep 1999, 874 pages
    Oct 2000, 896 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Dutch

patc (09/08/11)

Who's biography is this, anyway?
I love reading...almost anything. But, this book was torture for me to get through. There was too much about the author and his catty friend "Paul" , and their apparent obsession with "Dutch" and not enough about the subject...Ronald Reagan.

Morris starts out with a chip on his shoulder about Reagan and it carries through to the end of the book. Morris comes from and upper crust family, and is constantly injecting French phrases in his writing. I don't speak or read French, and while maybe I should improve my mind by looking up every phrase he references, that's not why I'm reading this book. It was extremely irritating!

This is the weirdest "memoir" I've ever read. I've never read a book where the writer is constantly injecting his own story into the story of the person he's writing about. I have no desire to read anything else by Edmund Morris...this was enough to last me a lifetime!
Ruthanne (08/08/04)

I wanted so badly to like this book, after having seen numerous interviews with the author at the time the book was written and immediately following President Reagan's death.
Sadly, this unusual style of writing a biography by inhabiting it with fictional characters who are on the scene during Reagan's early life, not only falls flat but is intrusive and boring. We read biographies to better know and understand the real events that form an individual's personality and decisions through life, not to have to do the same with non-existent fictional characters.

A major disappointment and a shameful way to present one of the pivotal characters in the last century's history.
Mark_Bledsoe (03/04/04)

A boring bio of the most over rated President in the history of the US
Megan (11/05/03)

I've been assigned this book for my History and Biography class and I've honestly been enjoying reading it. Many biographies tend to make the subject seem larger than life. But Morris interweaves his own history into the story of Dutch, thus making the book more interesting. It helps to put the story into perspective as well as to make Dutch seem more human.
Ken M. (03/22/02)

This is a very long and very boring book. Long because it includes the biographies of both the author and Ronald Reagan. The author constantly engages in self aggrandizement and a put down of Ronald Reagan and all his family members, especially his wife Nancy. Morris also pans all previous books about Ronald Reagan. Morris' book easily qualifies as the least accurate and least interesting of all books about Ronald Reagan.

• Book Jacket: All Our Wrong Todays

Our Short History
    by Lauren Grodstein

Lola
    by Melissa Scrivner Love

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman.

Harvard is the storehouse of knowledge because the freshmen bring so much in and the graduates take so little out.

O My D B