Reader reviews and comments on Legacy of Ashes, plus links to write your own review.

Legacy of Ashes

Amy Reading

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Legacy of Ashes

Iron Hand

Legacy of Ashes Review
This book doesn't talk about the many foreign agents who were trying to ruin everything the CIA was attempting to accomplish. The Russians had spies inside the FBI and Langley (moles) feeding them the stuff that made the spy-business impossible to conduct. Weiner doesn't talk about that problem or detail how the CIA was confronted by spies outside and inside the halls of Langley. Typical NYTimes journalistic assassination of everyone who ever worked as chief of the CIA.
L Allen

Legacy of Ashes burns down
Weiner's scathing rebuke is off-putting.The enemy was and is totalitarian states.Everyone under a microscope. I for one commend the attempts to infiltrate.Yes,they didn't learn lessons,but something had to be done.The comment that Stalin never planned to take over the world is wrong, according to Kotkin's Stalin analysis.
EDB_review

Comprehensive but biased
Right from the start, Weiner sets the tone of the book; and then beats you to death with his unremitting negative views on the CIA. from Author's Note: "Legacy ... describes how the most powerful country...failed to create a first rate spy service". I am not former CIA, just a concerned citizen who would like to see a more balanced treatment. This book does not do it. I started to annotate instances of clear bias and simply gave up - there are too many to count. The CIA and our government are not perfect, but - clearly - Weiner's portrayal is a disservice to many dedicated and brave souls in the Agency.
CE Lathrop

A Flawed, Even Deceitful Book
The problem with reviews of Weiner's book, as Jeffrey Richelson has amply demonstrated on the blog www.washingtondecoded.com, is that most reviewers don't have substantive background about the subject matter and can't see past their own biases. For an expert's view of the book that is wholly unfavorable, see CIA.gov.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C