Reader reviews and comments on The View from Mount Joy, plus links to write your own review.

The View from Mount Joy

by Lorna Landvik

The View from Mount Joy by Lorna Landvik

Sep 2007, 368 pages
    Sep 2008, 384 pages

There are currently 24 reader reviews for The View from Mount Joy

Karen

A Step Back In Time
I've had no desire to go back to my teenage years of angst and insecurities but Landvik's novel took me there - and I loved it! At first I wasn't sure I was the target audience (the narrator is a teenager when the story begins). However, as the story evolved I came to care very much about the characters - even Kristi who is exasperatingly self-absorbed but a marvelous foil for the generous and lovable Joe, the narrator. A delightful story, well told and true to the time as I remember it.
Power Reviewer Joan

It's a joy
As a Lorna Landvik fan I looked forward to reading her new book. I wasn't disappointed. Once again she deals with ordinary people from the heartland. The plot is well developed and character driven. It takes a promising man's life down an unexpected path from high school to middle age. Along the way you get to know his family, friends, their hopes, dreams, and disappointments. I would recommend this book to any reader regardless of age.
Joyce

Fun, Endearing and a Fast Read
This is not the kind of book I usually pick up and read, I've never read Lorna Landvik before. BUT I have to say I'm so glad I did. This book makes you laugh, cry and just holds your interest, I could hardly put it down. Joe is such an endearing character, you find yourself rooting for him at every turn in his life. The way the story evolves is just right. I highly recommend it to young and old - it does have some language and events of a sexual nature so keep that in mind (but they are in the context of the book so don't seem out of line). Do yourself a favor and curl up with this book, you'll be glad you did.
Donna

A Great View
This book offers plenty of the good stuff of life -- joy, surprises, laughter, deep and enduring relationships. Much like life, it also has some loss, grief and disappointment. In all, it's a celebration of an ordinary life lived authentically and a reminder that, if you're looking for the right things, the view is pretty good. I highly recommend this book!
Dorothy

Bloom Where You are Planted
Lorna Landvik is a wonderful funny writer who turns the lives of ordinary people, playing the hand life deals them with grace and humor, into stories that you don't want to end. In The View From Mount Joy she gives us Joe Andreson, the son, the friend and, ultimately, the husband that everyone would like to have. And contrasting with Joe we have Kirsti Casey - the high school star who confuses power with joy. This is a heart warming, often laugh out loud, visit with people you'd like to know - I certainly would like to grocery shop with them.
Teresa

Colorful characters, downhome charm
Book clubs will surely love this wonderful novel with quirky characters and warm, witty dialogue. Growing up in the 60's and 70's, we follow Joe through his teens into adulthood with his family and friends as they navigate the waters of love, life, and reality. It will alternatively make you laugh aloud and cry. A very good read - as all of Lorna Landviks' books have been!
PAB Sacto CA

Not my favorite of Landvicks books
I agree with Catherine regarding character Kristi...she was never a real person to me...the fascination of Joe with her was never fully compelling to me...I have read all of the other books by this author..this is my least favorite. Maybe a disappointment was bound to happen. I will not give up for sure and still worth the read.
SAM

From Mount Joy to Main Street
I didn't laugh out loud, the way I usually do with Landvik's books, but I had a really good time reading it anyway.

The View from Mount Joy contains the same characters found in her other books - the real people who populate cities and towns everywhere. And it is about the same real stories that those people live every day in the cities and towns everywhere.

Simple truth, about the joy and angst of living, that everyone faces every day, and how, if you're just a little bit lucky, one of your life-long friends is a really wonderful person.

• Book Jacket: The Force
    by Julian Barnes

Win The Library of Light and Shadow

The Library of Light and Shadow by M.J. Rose

The Almost Sisters

A powerful, emotionally resonant novel of the South.

T H Are B T O